Baby Walker Birthday Pressie - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablopete80

Established Member
Reaction score
After the cot i made some time back i had some left over Ash and have knocked up this walker over the weekend for my little mans 1st birthday today. So thought a few pics on how it was made should be shared with you lot on here.

5198406928_727b417bf2.jpg

5198407638_24f906467a.jpg

5197812207_b7bb3b1eaf.jpg

Its 20mm ash box (m&t) with a MDF Ash vaneered base, which in hindsight may take a bashing.

5205875641_d0250b2a41.jpg

I have run the axles on cartridge bearings as i had access to them. It maybe ott for a walker but it runs very smoothly now and no rattlely or squeeky axles.

5197812653_5dee795575.jpg

5206472324_8c234c3195.jpg

Wheels rough cut on bandsaw and finished on pillar drill/morticer and router table

5206474280_fbce2d713e.jpg

5206474648_f8b54c3002.jpg

5206475102_4b7785c9de.jpg

The Finished Walker. The arms and handle can be removed for storage when he's done with it via insert nuts and allen bolts.

I added some Oak blocks from some offcuts of oak a friends dad gave me, not quite enough to fill it though :( and I have used finishing oil for the main walker and left the blocks sanded only as these will be eaten, chewed or fed to the dogs so even though they say its toy safe i still don't like the idea of it.

Dimensions for the base are approx 450mm x 300m. 100mm diameter wheels, and approx 530mm high to the handle if anyone is interested.

Hope you like my latest project and i am off to make a 6" high bird table now after todays little party.

Pete

Really like it. And the use of those bearings shows true engineering bias - it could be used for downhill racing when older.

Bet that was a good fun project.

Really like it. And the use of those bearings shows true engineering bias - it could be used for downhill racing when older.

They are from Mavic wheels so i suppose its possible.

FYI you could finish it with Olive Oil.

Was considered with maybe food dye as colouring, but i liked the natural colour too much and i am too tight to share my olive oil!

Thanks for the comments, only had his feedback so far. He has even ignored the big noisy toys to push it around the house (into my ankles mainly) which must mean he likes. Oh and it could be worse than Tina Turner, i have to share my birthday with Cliff Richard!!!

Happy 1st Birthday Little Man, and i hope you like your Daddies present,,, Looks really well made well done pete.

Cheers

Dave

pablopete80, looks very good. Just a small point, baby walkers need to be slightly hard to push as this makes sure they don't fall over as they will if it's too free-wheeling.

Nice job reminds me of the one I made for my Niece back when I was an apprentice. Shes all grown up now just finished Uni a year or more ago how time flies :lol: .

I remember being annoyed as about 2 years after I made it my brother chopped the wheels off it to make something for his workshop git :shock: :x

Mine had a slide out shape sorter at the back and I painted the number plate MEL 1 on it.

Lovely job, Pete. My dad made me something very similar when I was a tot and absolutely everything - including a disgruntled Persian cat - got wheeled about in it at some point. And as you can probably tell, I remember it with fondness, so many daddy points earned there for years to come, I'm sure.

This brings back memories. This is the one I did 2yrs ago for my daughter.

DSC_0214.JPG

You did better then me with wooden wheels and blocks to match. Well done. It gets easier when they hit 1, doesn't it? :lol:

Now I know what that thing is that was in the loft when we moved into the house. :oops:

Will clean it and find a suitable home as opposed to the tip\fire.

Back