Lounge side tables, Stained Oak - Finished in OSMO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks you to everyone who helped and encouraged this project, not something I had done before, and all the help and advice went a long way :)

My brief from the wife was a to make a couple of side tables for the lounge to be in keeping with the current fireplace/mantle we have.

Oak was chosen as the timber, and some test staining of Liberon Dark Oak (Ethanol based) and OSMO to check what the finish would look like.

Timber purchased

IMG_4735.jpeg

Blanks cut for the legs, using consecutive pieces of timber on the board so as to keep the grain as close together to hide the join

IMG_4737.jpeg

Legs glued up, and thicknessed

IMG_4742.jpeg

Working out the glue up for the top - first time using biscuits

IMG_4746.jpeg

Clamped up

IMG_4751.jpeg

Initial sanding to clean up

IMG_4753.jpeg

The fun part came working out cutting the mortises for the legs, 8 legs, 16 mortises, plus another 4 spare legs just in case! The mortises were not dead centre of the leg, so whatever method of stops etc I used to cut mortices needed to be repeatable when I turn the legs the 'other way around' to cut the others (hope that makes sense!?)

So, I offered the legs upto the router table, worked out where I needed to stop and start the cut and put some lumps of timber for stops - then cut some scraps so I had something to reference the distance between the bit and the stops that was repeatable
IMG_4761.jpeg

This way, I could put the end of the leg butt up to the stop on the right, lower the leg onto the cutter, and move it across till it stopped at the left stop - then raise the bit, and do it again

IMG_4762.jpeg

So, because the mortises were not dead centre, I needed to turn the legs around to cut the second set on the second face of each leg (this way I didn't need to move the fence on the router table) - back out with the scraps, and setup the stop blocks in the opposite direction and carried on cutting...

IMG_4763.jpeg

Mortises all cut, not 100% perfect, but perfectly good enough for a first try!

IMG_4764.jpeg

to be continued, can only post 10 pics :)

Last edited:
Then using the table saw and crosscut sled, cut the tenons

IMG_4770.jpeg

IMG_4773.jpeg

Tenons then rounded to fit the mortises

IMG_4774.jpeg

Quick taper jig then made for the table saw to taper the legs

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

Quick dry test fit

IMG_4781.jpeg

Buttons then made to secure the top

IMG_4819.jpeg

IMG_4821.jpeg

Tops cut to size. large bevel added underneath done on the table saw, and a 45 chamfer added to all the other edges
IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4830.jpeg

Thanks - I put each apron in the vice and cut a 45 on each with a chisel, then stuck some sandpaper to a scrap of wood and set to it getting the shape - worked out surprisingly ok - had to go back and clean up where I hadn't got quite far enough down with the chisel which stopped the joints coming together tightly, but just took my time and got there in the end!

Back