Talk Talk Broadband

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone switched from BT Broadband (or any other ISP) to Talk Talk Broadband recently? If so, any problems and was there any off-line period involved? I ask because I'm getting conflicting info, both online and in store. I'm all for paying less (£21 approx instead of £43), but I really can't be off-line for any length of time as I'm currently involved in proof-reading and get all the text as an e-mail attachment.

TIA :)

Ray.

Ray since Talk Talk took over Onetel I have had nothing but problems with broadband and e mail. Its not a BT broadband problem as I can logon using a friends address - its a Talk Talk problem with a very bad help desk.
Barry

When switching from one Isp to another a MAC code must be obtained by the user from the original ISP which is valid for 30 days. The new ISp then gpoes to BT and says swithover so and so on such and such a date.
Theorectically there should be little if any downtime when switching (occasionally a day without.)
However. Talktalk have been a victim of their own sucess (as many predcited) and have become totally swamped with many poeple now having to wait 3 months for connection. With this in mind I would check directly with TT how long you will have to wait before getting connected to their network, and if you should wait before actually asking for your MAC code.

DO NOT believe them if they say there is no time limit on the duration of a MAC code.

Note, if you get a MAC code and don't use it, thats OK. The old supplier will just keep on supplying you unitl a new code is issued and accepted.

If this procedure is not followed correctly then you can find yourself without an ISP for weeks whilst it gets sorted.

A good website/forum is www.adslguide.org where you will find many answers and good feedback from other users.

Hope this helps :? :D
Regards
mark

Roger Sinden":32xm86ss said:
Ray

What's the urgency? All my IT/networking/comms experience screams 'WAIT!!!"

Roger
I've no idea why you thought there was any urgency, there isn't. I'm trying to get a feel for the service offered as a whole first and I know that contributors here don't pull any punches.

Thanks for the link, Pecker - very useful. I was aware of the MAC 30-day rule and - incidentally - had a conversation with a BT Broadband operator who lied through his teeth regarding exchange unbundling, MAC limits, etc. Although I knew the answer, he couldn't even tell me if my local exchange had been unbundled (it has, hence the opportunity to shop around a bit).

Ray.

in my opinion Ray you get exactly what you pay for. Talk Talk is a good deal only if you want medium-to-poor customer service and over subscribed bandwidth. It is/will-be a victim of it's own success. The guy who owns the company was on the TV the other day freely admitting he's made some huge mistakes with regard to CS and that he is stuggling to cope with the demand. If you sign up to TT now, you may not get connected until October. Of course, Pecker is correct, you should get a relatively painless switch over.

Broadband prices will continue to drop, it has to, but i'd be inclined to wait before going for these over subscribed services.

I recently switched from Zen to EFH Broadband purely for financial reasons. Zen's service had been 100% unfaultable, but I had to think about what I was spending and broadband just wasnt worth £30 a month. EFH is £12 a month and so far so good, no problems at all.

You're right, Ray. My apologies as I don't understand why my brain came up with that conclusion.

WiZer...very interesting...that would be my only reason for switching fromZen and so I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

We've had AOL Broadband for about 2 years now and its been faultless, maybe a trifle expensive but abolutely no hassle with it at all, good back up and technical support. Just upgraded to AOL Gold yesterday and installed their free Netgear wireless router which, much to my suprise was a dream to connect - no probs whatsoever - Rob

switching is a bit of a hassle, there is a MAC process (migration authoriation code) but some suppliers buy from BT (one MAC) and others have theor owbn broadband networks (kit in BT exchanges its called local loop unbundling - LLU) LLU has a different MAC

So if i were you, if you are happy with your current provider, call them, tell them you want a better deal or you're off. They'll save you with a multitude of special offers, often depending on who you say you're going to.

With regards talk talk, they havent got a clue. They dont even have the network built out to put you onto. They are now having to buy broadband from BT to support their own network roll out. Inexperience showing.

Stay put, ask for a better deal (especially if you are out of contract) and wait and see what happens.

Free is never free!

Biglouie touches on an important point here. Without trying to get too techie, some exchanges now have another companies equiptment in them known as LLU. Now, if you are on LLU (Bulldog, is an example, SKY, talktalk and others) the migration and MAC codes are very different and as yet relatively new.

This means that if you are say with Bulldog or Talktalk (ontheir own LLU) and you want to move, there is not yet an industry standard code/system (though there is a lot of pressure to get this sorted) and moving (migrating) to another ISp can be very difficult and time consuming.

To throw another problem into the pot. BT have recently launched MAX giving greater speeds more akin to other companies LLU's, BUT it has so far been FRAUGHT with problems and has caused major headaches for nearly all ISPs. :roll:

As someone who watches all of these developments with interest, I would humbly suggest to anyone thinking of changing, go to Adslguide or dslzone websites. Read, ask a lot of questions of the users of that particular ISP, make up your mind,move and stick with them for a while, if you are in really no hurry, hold off moving for another couple of months yet and let the various different system and problems settle down then move.
The UK broadband market is changing very rapidly at the moment and theres more to come.

Phew... did I really write all that? :shock: :?

if anyone wants to pick my brain on this please feel free to message me.

Back