Taking on an apprentice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think were maybe being a bit harsh on the youngsters.

I did my apprenticeship aged 16-19 (1981-84) with a national electronics servicing company (that no longer exists). It was certainly NOT something I wanted to do. I wanted to hang around with my mates and do nothing. Every evening when I got off the bus (2 hr journey) my mates would be hanging around the bus stop to take the mick out of me. They enjoyed what they did, and I hated what I did. Every penny I earned went on bus fares and to my Mum for house keeping. My mates always seemed to have spare money on them. I didn't. At that age it's hard to understand why you're doing it.

I'm lucky that my parents were 'pushy' enough to make me do well (enough) at school to get the grades needed to be considered for an apprenticeship that they 'pushed' me towards. My Dad drove me to the first 2 interviews (over 40 miles away). My Mum got out the bone china tea service when the area managers arrived for the home visit. I nearly spat my tea out when they offered me the job and then told me how little I'd be earning. If I had my way I'd have told them where to shove their job. And I'd probably be on the dole now, instead of qualified to the point that I've never (fortunately) been unemployed.

When I look at the 'lazy' kids now I do wonder if they are lucky enough to have parents like mine or yours.

James C":3tiez99y said:
It is a shame that Apprenticeships are all directed towards the ungrateful youth. I'm 25 now and anyone wanting to give me an apprenticeship would have to pay through the nose, which is a shame because I'd quite happily quit my job if it meant learning from someone knowledgeable and eventually end up making shavings for a living.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd offer to work for free to learn the trade and do something I love if I didn't have a family to try and support.
I've never taken a sick day unless the boss has actually forced me and I always work my buttocks off as I can't stand not being busy or wasting time but I'm rubbish at application forms and CVs so it's a nightmare.

I'm just about scraping by with a bit of handyman work.

I can empathise with you Doorframe.

I remember being told by a BMC car worker... 'I could buy and sell you!'

On wage structure terms, he was probably right. A big percentage of my money went towards my superannuation.
Now that fruit is being picked, who has the best job now I wonder? :D

this might not be the right place to mention, but if anyone needs an extra pair of hands in the london area, I will work for free at weekends and during time off from college. I'm taking a course in furniture making at the building crafts college and need to gain as much experience as possible to supplement what I learn from the course. I live in Harrow, North West London and can travel within say 90 mins driving distance. I'm 27 and woodwork is a change of direction for me, I previously edited science journals after gaining a degree in neuroscience. I'm very keen to learn whatever I can from those with more knowledge so if anyone knows of anyone who could do with some extra help in the workshop, just let me know.

Back