Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Its a long story, but the bottom line was I had to make a table for a friend to match the style of some others,
and to keep her mum happy I had to put 4 tiles in the top, not my cup of tea, but-----

3903147235_359036bcaa.jpg

The original, tables were in Elm, but I have used american ash,
cut the leg components first after making a mdf pattern.

3903150457_75d6f16f48.jpg

Had to be very careful to get each edge flat and square, I used 2 no0 biscuits in each joint

3903932766_1a4fef67c5.jpg

Legs glued up and profiled against the MDF pattern with a trimming cutter on the router

3903156501_009661170f.jpg

Cutting the mortise for the stretcher

3903939344_26525832fc.jpg

Finished less the stain, finish and tiles. Stain was Van Dyke crystals,
finish 3 coats of poly, 400 wet and dry between coats, then wax,
tiles X her bathroom circa 1970. Routing out the top to take the tiles was a bit of a sweat.

3903942846_f234e4e37e.jpg

finished with tiles bedded in clear silicon.

Nice, Pete, apart from the tiles......

When you say it is a long story.........

.....unless I hear otherwise I will assume that you fell over the original table whilst completely drunk, and smashed it to pieces. :D

Mike

Quality work, let down by the tiles, what a bizarre idea.

Well Mike I was sober. The short version is the mum bought some expensive tiles for daughters bathroom many years ago. Daughter decides to scrap old bathroom, 4 whole tiles were saved by the builder. Mum upset tiles are gone, table requested with tiles to make mum who is 80 happy again. Whats wrong with that. As I said not my style but I was surprised it turned out better than I imagined.

Tom I gather there was quite a strong move towards tops of tables that had various items inlaid some time back. By the way when daughter saw the table she was quite overcome with emotion, quite a nice feeling to make someone happy.

As long as the customer is happy! You can always make another with out the tiles. Good job newt.

Well I, for one, would certainly like a table as nice looking as that one, well done that man. :)

Rich.

Dont know if she is a borrower, why?. Cant quite picture the dolls house, clearly I am a bit slow.

I just think without the reference of anything else in the picture the tiles look like they could be squared paper like you get in maths exercise books. The table looks like it could be a miniature in that shot.

The Borrowers was the name a TV show years ago - the borrowers in the show were tiny people who made their homes from things "borrowed" from human houses.

Obscure reference, I'll get me coat. :p

Bigshot I see the connection, yes it does look a bit like graph paper, its given me an idea to play a trick, thanks.

Back