Table top cover material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning on making a small table for the coffee machine in my office. The emphasis is on "functional" rather than producing a high class piece of furniture.

My thinking at this stage was to make the top out of a piece of plywood or MDF edged with some "proper" wood. I was also considering covering the top of the plywood/MDF with "something" durable and wipeable from a roll but have no idea what that "something" would be!

Any suggestions?

(I considered tiles but the dimensions are strictly defined by the space available rather than multiples of a tile width and I thought "part" tiles would look a bit "odd")

Thanks,
Paul.

Paul

How about a piece of toughened glass? It can be fixed to the top, edges ground smooth, or you could wrap it with your "proper wood". I think it would look so much better than something off a roll.

Just a thought.

Bob

Rustin's plastic coating is very durable and not affected by liquids and hot cup rings.

Jason

yep, agree with mailee. Glass would be a nice modern touch.

The table is going in a corner and there will be other things "hidden" below it, so unfortunately glass is not really an option.

I'll have a closer look at the suggestion of Rustin's Plastic Coating - that may be an option.

My original thinking was something like a desk pad but getting one large enough may be difficult, hence why I was looking for something "on a roll".

Thanks for the responses,
Paul.

I think the suggestion is a wood top, with a sheet of glass on top to protect it.

The only problem with glass on top of wood is that spills will find their way between the two, not too bad if it was in your home but for something in an office it could get messy quite quickly.

You can just about roll a sheet of woodgrain Laminate (formica etc) :wink:

Jason

Back