Table saw shortlist needs trimming down (thanks all)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonkin

Reaction score
Intro: I'm after a TS for home DIY/furniture making (nothing too extravagant). Prefer sliding table. Must have rise and fall. Want to be able create mortise/tenons easily.

I've trawled these fora and the www and initially came up with the following shortlist...

SIP 01321
RYOBI ETS1825
JET JTS315S
EB/METABO TS250
FOX F36524
SIP 01332
KITY 419

I then decided that as I want the sliding table it came down to...

JET JTS315S
FOX F36524
SIP 01332
KITY 419

but the Fox and the Kity only have 1100W motors (according to info I found on the www). I also found info on the Jet that said it had either a 1100W or 1650W motor - does anybody know the definitive answer? Is 1100W really enough? I've no idea what the power of the SIP is.

Can anybody help me choose? Do any of these have a really dodgy fence? What are your experiences? any bargepole material here?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't know where to start, although Kity owners seem to be voluble in their purring (Kity - purring - gettit? Okay, I'll be going in a moment...) but welcome to the forum, Jon. Somehow your first post seems to have got over-looked and I wouldn't want you thinking we didn't care. :D

Cheers, Alf

Welcome. Its worth keeping an eye on ebay. Search for Wadkin, Startrite, Scheppach etc. You do get the odd bargain. But be careful. Sometimes you can pay too much...

Here's a bit of a bargain (sold tho)- its 3 phase tho - another £75 will get you a 1p to 3p inverter complete with softstart so it'll run off a 13A plug!

Don't forget to add £65 for a pallet collect / deliver.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

good luck!

Without trying to appear funny, see my 'eurekazone' review below: that system will do just about everything you'd want to do on a tablesaw as a DIY/hobbyist user, more cheaply and safely than any TS. It won't do Mortise and tenons - but I'm not a fan of that on the TS anyway - a router and bandsaw will do that for you with all the precision you need, and much less risk.

Just a thought - but I've been where you are, and my TS now sits gathering dust in the corner...

Stonkin

Welcome to the forum, quite a few members in your area.

can't help with the selection you have posted, but have you considered the Xcalibar range, there are a lot of satisfied members on the forum.

as to what your dusty TS is then?

It's one of these:

BTS10PP_l.jpg

Axminster BTS10PP.

My learning curve has been to discover that a saw bench needs to be 'BIG' if it's to safely handle sheet goods, but that as an amateur I cannot justify the cost or space that such a saw requires - it just takes up most of the shop, and doesn't get used often enough.

Conversely, almost everything I can actually do safely on that saw, I can do much more safely, and with less wastage, with my other tools.

I don't know exactly where you are in the great 'tool build up' that we all go through, but my journey has led to a workshop with the following machinery meeting most of my needs:

• A good, big, floor standing bandsaw
    A decent router/table combo
    Hand held circular saw with guide rails for sheet goods etc.
    A relatively big and powerful planer/thicknesser for stock preparation.

Those 4 seem to cover everything I need. Of course a TS would make some jobs easier, but the cost/benefit ain't worth it for me...

Gooday and welcome - I use the Kity 419 with both xtension tables, build quality and accuracy is very good. As you say, the motor is only 1100W but this is adequate for most purposes - I can easily rip through 50mm oak with a decent blade, though the one supplied with the saw only has 18T - Rob

Shady":3j45svmu said:
My learning curve has been to discover that a saw bench needs to be 'BIG' if it's to safely handle sheet goods, but that as an amateur I cannot justify the cost or space that such a saw requires - it just takes up most of the shop, and doesn't get used often enough.

• A good, big, floor standing bandsaw
    A decent router/table combo
    Hand held circular saw with guide rails for sheet goods etc.
    A relatively big and powerful planer/thicknesser for stock preparation.

Yup..been there...got the T-shirt.

Same list as Shady (well, it will be when I get a larger bandsaw...the first one was far too small).

Shady ...what size/model PT have you got?

Roger, that was my most expensive purchase, and worth every penny. After realising that certain tools simply have to have the 'grunt' for the job, I agonised for awhile, and ended up with the Axminster AW106PT:

AW106PT_l.jpg

It's pretty heavy (used a winch and a volvo to set it in place off the pallet), but at the price, has a big motor, cast iron tables, and a 3 knife cutter block. I've been very pleased with it. It's also very, very quiet in operation, with a nice sexy induction motor.

In similar vein, my bandsaw is the Perform CCBB:

CCBB_l.jpg

It's easy to turn one's nose up at Perform products, but this thing is big enough to rip through 6 foot planks, and has done so. Again, I researched for a while, and noticed, faintly bizarrely, that it has a motor just as powerful as their higher spec white brand SBW351B, which has a light trade rating... No frills, and the plastic adjustment handles shattered under load, but I just replaced them with wooden offcut ones, and it's perfect for what I want.

These machines wouldn't find a place in trade shops, I expect, because the guards/adjustment systems are there, but are basic, and need time to set accurately - but that's not a problem for me.

Oh - forgot - my only other key machine is the drill press, for accurately sticking holes in things...

Back