table saw rip fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been reading through this forum for about two weeks now. I must say that it is by far the most informative woodworking forum I have seen.

I have recently been given the chance to set up a workshop, albeit a small one. Reading through your reviews and experiences have made up my mind on most of the tools I will soon buy.

The problem is, that I can't really justify the expense of a nice new table saw at the moment.

I have a Delta 36-525 and would like to incorporate it into a tablesaw station like this one

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?9908

However I will build mine with cupboards for storage and castors.

My question is, where in the UK can you get quality rip fences like the Delta USA Biesemeyer and unifence systems

I am finding it very frustrating with the lack of choice we seem to have in this country.

Many Thanks

Hi SlimJim,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I have a link somewhere for a rolling cupboard/saw stand/router table, I will look for it tomorrow and post it for you.

I cannot help with the fence, but in a back issue of Good Woodworking (153) Ian Dalziel ( a member here) did a workstation, complete with wooden Biesmeyer style fence. :shock:

Hi Jim
Welcome to the forum!
You'd be hard stretched to find any decent Delta stuff in the UK. But Rutlands do this Biese type fence
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hi SlimJim

Welcome to the forum.

DaveL":30smrg3y said:
...but in a back issue of Good Woodworking (153) Ian Dalziel ( a member here) did a workstation

Ian's workstation is exactly what you are looking for and it is far better than Norm's. :roll: (Sorry Philly)

You can contact GWW and get a back issue. Have a look here.

The problem with the fence, as per Phiily's post, is the cost of after-market fences in this country.

Cheers
Neil

Woah! £339, I might as well fork out for a complete saw! But thanks anyway Philly.

Thanks guys for your welcome and suggestions. Dave I would really appreciate that link.

I will also try and get the back issue.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks richard.

The axminster doesn't look as good as the fence I already have. Trouble is my fence locks at both sides, so fitting it in to a workstation will be a problem.

I think I will look deeper into making one.

Many thanks guys.

Ok ok..

I have suddenly rashly and spontaneously decided to get a new saw. Budget really allows me to look at the Sip 01332 and the Perform CC10BSB. I think the perform looks like a better spec. especially as the sliding carriage for the sip is £200+.

Does anyone have any opinions on these saws or any other recommendations? Budget is strictly £600

Thanks

I don't think you will be disappointed with the sip. Have had one for nearly a year now and is a very good piece of kit for the money. Fence is rock solid and square and accuracy of cut excellent. With cast iron table and the blade wound down it is also an excellent assembly bench.

Les

i would recomend the scheppach 2010. its a great saw, light enough to move about and accurate as well. its also powerfull for its size.

my only gripe about the saw is the mitre guide, it seems to move about a little in the t track on which it runs.

if i had to buy mine again i would NOT get the base. i ended up building my own with castors on, for ease of moving about when not in use.

cheers scotty

Gary
As far as I am aware the sliding table can be retrofitted, I think you need to move the table extension to the opposite side of the blade. However I have made up a sliding panel cutting unit as NORM uses, so I do not need the sliding table so takes up less space in the workshop. Unless you need to cut loads of panels I would look at this opton first.
The other benefit of the SIP is that it comes complete with a low short fence to bolt onto the main fence for cutting thin pieces etc, also ideal if you want to cut shoulders for tenons although you need need to remove the knife.

Les

Thanks for all your replies.

I live about 5 minutes from DB Keighley Machines, and I went to see the Sip yesterday. I looks like a hell of a lot of saw for the money.

Two things, the sliding table can be retrofitted.

The mitre guage was a bit loose aswell. I borrowed some vernier calipers from the salesman and measured the slot and the mitre guage bar. The slot is spot on, its the guage that is too small. Could be resolved by fitting a new 3/4" bar to it. Or by getting a new guage.

I am going to buy it today. Gary, thanks for the prices. DbKeighley do a price match, so I should get it for £450.

I will give it a thorough testing and post a review as I think alot of people with a small budget like me would be very interested to see what it is like.

Cheers guys

Slimjim81":6emkfnmo said:
The mitre guage was a bit loose aswell. I borrowed some vernier calipers from the salesman and measured the slot and the mitre guage bar. The slot is spot on, its the guage that is too small. Could be resolved by fitting a new 3/4" bar to it. Or by getting a new guage.
Or centre punching a few dimples along the edges of the bar. Do a search and you should find a few other suggestions as well, but that's an easy fix. <small rant> As it seems to be common practice amongst manufacturers to make the gauge bar a sloppy fit, I wish they'd have the gumption to admit it and make this simple fix more widely known. :? </rant>

Cheers, Alf

Cool Slimjim, a review would be most helpful even though it may be a while before i can look at a saw, by which time you'll have tamed the beast and be able to give a time served opinion! :) Have fun with it.

Glad to be of help.

Thanks for the info (and to Les too ;))

Gary

Hi Slimjim
If you are looking for a good quality fence setup for your homemade TS setup as per the NYW, may I make a sugesstion!

A while ago I was in the same frame of mind , I solved the problem by buying the Incra Ultra Jig, it is a brilliant piece of kit Rutlands stock it, BTW I did not buy mine from them, they were not in business at the time,

I now have a Scheppach 2500CI TS with side extension, the Scheppach Fence although very good is not as versatile as the Incra in as much as I can make repetitive cuts on the incra and everyone comes out exactly the same to within 0000.1.

I also use the Incra ultra on my homemade router Table (52" x 32") with the incra Intellifence attached.

I cannot speak too highly of Incra products.

If I knew how to, I would post pictures of my setup.

If you are ever in liverpool you are welcome to call and see my small workshop

Hi Yotasurf

I originally had the scheppach 2500TS with the alloy table and I cured the sloppy fit of the mitre slot.

I machined a piece of that heavy duty plasticy material UHMU or something like that name, to the exact profile of the T slot and fixed it to the mitre bar, it worked a treat.

I sold the 2500Ts when the 2500Ci came out because I wanted the cast Iron table and the Grooving (DADO)accessory

Back