Table saw restoration - worth doing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I'll have a hunt through my library for image! (library is far too extensive - MUST have a cull one day). But it won't be for a few days at least, as things are just a bit hectic.

I realize this is some years after your original post. I too have acquired a Royal table saw almost identical to yours.

I would guess from the electrical switch on mine that is was produced in the 1950's. It has a 1HP Brook motor attached in the same, rather gash way as yours. There seems to be no way to fix the motor to use the tilt mechanism.

The table is not cast iron but steel sheet fixed to a welded angle iron frame. It is very well made

If you have worked out how to use the tilt mechanism I would like to hear from you.

Regards John

One of the nice things about that saw is that the blade will tilt (when you get the tilt mechanism sorted out) to the left, away from the fence. This is safer than the more traditional right-tilt, as it means that neither the workpiece nor the offcut can get trapped.
Nice find.

S

twothumbs":1ijsvfey said:
I think Royal may have been sold by Proops who closed some years ago. Anyone in London remember them? They sold lots of arbours, pulleys, and odd bits and pieces.
Proops are still going: http://www.proopsbrothers.com/ though their Tottenham Court Road shop closed decades ago. Used to love browsing there, I still have motors and gearboxes bought from them 40 years ago that I thought would come in useful one day but haven't yet

pcb1962":24kr0t52 said:
twothumbs":24kr0t52 said:
I think Royal may have been sold by Proops who closed some years ago. Anyone in London remember them? They sold lots of arbours, pulleys, and odd bits and pieces.
Proops are still going: http://www.proopsbrothers.com/ though their Tottenham Court Road shop closed decades ago. Used to love browsing there, I still have motors and gearboxes bought from them 40 years ago that I thought would come in useful one day but haven't yet

Proops!

Didn't they have a genuine surface-to-air missile in there, or was that one of the other shops in the same bit of the road?

Late 1970s early 1980s: I used to go down there at lunchtimes from Portland Place - just enough time on a lunch break to get down have a quick furtle about and get back without being late.

It all got replaced by Indian/Pakistani shops selling camera and cheap audio kit. Not the same really.

Happy days.

E.

Back