Table saw recommendations (circa 2k)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Need a new table saw imminently. Space is not unlimited and I have no need of huge panel capacity anyway. Most work is ripping and I have a large RAS for cross cuts. A large part is also small prototype work which needs accuracy and settings which stay put. I prefer the older steel so I could opt for a restored or little used Startrite or Wadkin for example. Standard slots and fences which run on round stock also appeal as it easier to make jigs and extend rails etc. With that in mind, I've been looking at the Axminster plus UOTS12-RA 305mm table saw. Simple and heavy appeals most. Has anyone used or seen this saw? The Rojek line seems simple and robust but has been described as rough around the edges on this forum ( a while ago, may have improved). Any comments or recommendations would be most welcome. 3 phase prefered. Many thanks, OJ

The STA300 from startrite looks interesting - any users out there?

Have you considered the Hammer range from Felder at all?
I don't have one (Scheppach TS2500 owner and lover) but I understand they're well regarded. Just about in you budget too.

I'm with Mark, I briefly look at a hammer a while back (along with their p/t) and was very impressed with it's finish and build quality - didn't cut with it though, but think it would seem to be a good choice - also backed by an excellent company. I've also read some good reviews in F&C about hammer stuff.

Having looked at the Hammer and the Sedgwick saws I'd say there is a difference.

The Hammer has some quality issues and is certainly built to a price, but it does come as part of a system, although I doubt that it's up to serious (i.e. trade volume) work, for which you need a Felder or better.

On the other hand the Sedgwick is basic almost to the point of being agricultural, to get a mitre fence you need to buy the sliding carraige as there is no mitre guage slot and the sliding carraige option needs to be factory fitted although in its' defence it comes with a very large and robust fence which acts as a crosscut and/or mitre fence. The Sedgwick also has not panel-saw sliding carraige nor a scoring saw option.

Personally I can't help feeling that if you are not looking for panel handling, just a basic table saw then the Sedgwick will probably be a lot longer lived, as would a secondhand Wadkin AGS12 or Startrite TA275.

Scrit

Thanks everyone.
So the Startrite STA300 and the Rojek PK315 are clones and are both on the shortlist. The lack of mitre slots on the Sedgwick puts it out of the running I'm afraid. Are the Rojek's still a little rough Scrit? If I can find a good old home grown example I shall go for it I think.
OJ

OJ":1un1f8j5 said:
Are the Rojek's still a little rough?
From waht I've seen they're getting better, but I think they're still not as well finished as either SCM Minimax or Robland.

Scrit

Back