Table saw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspsteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I recently purchased a used kity 1619 table saw and have been setting it up .....I have made a few cuts with no problems but it didn't have a riving knife.

I bought a precisa 3 knife and with a bit of fettling I fitted it today.

I then turn the saw on and now it just runs for second and is blowing fuses ....any ideas please?

Cheers

Steve

Well I don't think the RK is responsible for the problem!
What rating is the motor? It could be that it really needs a 16A supply.
S

Not sure of the motor but I had complete new electrics fitted in December seem to remember the electrician said it was almost double what I needed ..32 Amp ring??

hi just out of curiosity did you run the motor at all before you fitted the riving knife ? did a quick search on the net and that model has a 2.5 hp motor sometimes they need more than 13 amp to kick it over in which case it will need a dedicated 16 amp circuit and the requisite plugs and cabling

Yeah just found an old listing on ebay from 2011 and it is supplied with a 16 amp plug. So you will need a separate 16 amp supply as said.

The first post says he has made a few cuts but without a riving knife so it cannot have been tripping before adding the RK.

Are there any cables in that area you may have nipped ?

carlb40":q74ry97l said:
Yeah just found an old listing on ebay from 2011 and it is supplied with a 16 amp plug. So you will need a separate 16 amp supply as said.

My P/T had a 16amp plug and runs fine .. like I said the electrician fitted the electrics to cope with the machine needs .

I've got a startrite planar/thicknesser that in theory needs a16A supply. I only installed it a year ago and I thought I'd try it with a 13A regular plug at first to see if I could save on having to do the electrical install. It worked so I just changed the caravan style plug for a regular 13 amper. The current needed is really only on startup to overcome the weight of the block. Since it doesn't trip my box it must be not quite that much.

I ran a big motor saw for a couple of years on a 13amp plug. Every now and then it would blow a fuse, which I would then change and carry on. So the fact it ran with a 13 a fuse before altering it doesn't really prove anything.

rspsteve":pbjv3yhy said:
Not sure of the motor but I had complete new electrics fitted in December seem to remember the electrician said it was almost double what I needed ..32 Amp ring??

If I understand it correctly you have a 32amp ring main. That is not the issue. You are restricted to 13amps on any single item.

Could it be that its right on the top edge of being able to cope and it's now a it colder which may need a bit more power to start up and that's why it's tripping out.

Try running it without a blade. That may be all it needs to reduce the load. If it runs then I would suggest you need a 16amp socket fitted.

Mick

rspsteve":2gehel5p said:
Lord Kitchener":2gehel5p said:
I expect you can get the socket, and plug, at Screwfix. Certainly can at electrical factors.

Is it just a matter of doing that?

If you don't feel confident about wiring it, and installing the correct rating of breaker (16 amp, I should think) on the wiring board, get an electrician in.

Is it blowing the fuse in it's three pin plug, or is it blowing a fuse or breaker in the distribution board/fuse box? If the latter what size fuse/breaker is blowing?

I got my 16A socket [plugs were also available] from either screwfix or toolstation [next door to each other] I put my 16A supply on it's own breaker so it can be isolated separate to the other workshop sockets. It's on one radial circuit direct to the distribution board, no ring, only one machine to supply.

rspsteve":131mkht1 said:
Ah will give that a go...how easy is it to get a 16Amp socket if need be?

Easy to do right, do it wrong and there could be problems.
Please do not add a 16A socket into a 32A ring main, I've swept up the mess this leaves.

"Lord Kitchener
If you don't feel confident about wiring it, and installing the correct rating of breaker (16 amp, I should think) on the wiring board, get an electrician in."

"Monkeybiter
I got my 16A socket [plugs were also available] from either screwfix or toolstation [next door to each other] I put my 16A supply on it's own breaker so it can be isolated separate to the other workshop sockets. It's on one radial circuit direct to the distribution board, no ring, only one machine to supply."

Two pieces of very good advice =D> :-D

Back