table saw not powering up properly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philg

Established Member
Reaction score
My Fox table saw doesnt seem to be reaching full power, it starts properly and the blade looks like its going at full speed but when i try to cut something it stalls really easily and starts slowing down as soon as it begins to cut. I've noticed the normal high pitched whine has got slightly lower in tone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could be the capacitor not giving a big enought initial kick. I had that on my old Kity 419!

Yeah, sounds like a loose belt. You should be able to undo a few bolts and slide the motor a bit further away to add more tension.

Phil,

I have the same saw and hd exactly the same problem. Tighten the belt up and you will OK.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the help guys, Mike is there an adjustment built in to tighten the belt or is it a case of bodging it yourself

Phil

The motor should have some adjustment on it's mounts for tightening the belt.

philg":phvwbueu said:
Thanks for the help guys, Mike is there an adjustment built in to tighten the belt or is it a case of bodging it yourself

Phil

Phil,

I remember it being quite fiddly and there isn't much by was of instructions.

Check the belt first, I was surprised by how tight it needed to be to stop it slipping so if there is any significant play in it you will need to adjust it.

I'm at work so doing this from memory but there are several bolts which hold the place and a smaller bolt which can move the motor once the securing bolts have been slackened. It was just a matter of having a good look at it and working out what did what and without the machine I can't really remember.

I can have a look tonight and try to describe it better if that would help.

Cheers
Mike

Managed to get the belt nice and tight, fired it up again and the problems still there, am i right in saying that if the belt was slipping the motor wouldnt slow down and stop but just the blade. It just seems the motor isnt reaching its full speed hence the slightly lower tone when running. The capacitor was changed about 4 months ago and when it went origionally it was the blade that wouldnt kick start but once i got the blade moving the motor still went up to full speed and the saw cut fine

Cheers Phil

philg":35z8v8xn said:
Managed to get the belt nice and tight, fired it up again and the problems still there, am i right in saying that if the belt was slipping the motor wouldnt slow down and stop but just the blade. It just seems the motor isnt reaching its full speed hence the slightly lower tone when running. The capacitor was changed about 4 months ago and when it went origionally it was the blade that wouldnt kick start but once i got the blade moving the motor still went up to full speed and the saw cut fine

Cheers Phil

Yes, if the belt is slipping, the motor still keeps going and just the blade slows down. It probably isn't the capacitor as that is only really needed for starting (I think) which leaves either a faulty motor or dodgy mains supply.

Mine runs fine on a 13A socket so it probably doesn't need a special 16A supply but what are you running it from - is it on a long extension lead where you could be experiencing voltage drop when you load it up?

Mike

Yes it is on a long extension lead but i have run it this way since i got it 18 months ago, i have always used a standard 13 amp supply and it has never blown a fuse although my Fox extractor is prone to this. Just manhandled the saw over near a plug but this hasn't made any difference. I think i might be looking at a problem with the motor but its strange that it stills works up to a point, i would have assumed that if the motor was at fault it would either work right or not at all.

Phil

check out whether there is sawdust in any strange places.

start with the switch, and work on from there.

i recently had the same problem with my router, and after blowing out the area around the switch with an aero duster like the sell for computers, i found the problem was solved.

paul :wink:

Looks like it might be trouble with the main winding this time. Long extension leads can drop voltage if not adequately sized and some motors don't like this - (undervolting does not give motors an easy time)

Don't know if supplied as standard, but cogged V belts with fully ground sides transmit quite a bit more power (grip pulley very well) and don't mind small radius pulleys either. They run very smoooothly too.

If it is a problem with the motor is this worth trying to fix or possible to fix. The belt supplied just looks like a standard flat belt. I didnt have any gradual problems with the saw this just happened overnight but i wasnt aware that using a long extension lead could damage the motor over time.

I had a very similar problem with my planer-thicknesser a few months ago. Replacing the capacitor made no difference, so I had to shell out for a new motor in the end.

Does it start off very slow, gradually start to pick up speed and then reach a 'maximum' speed which is nothing like what it used to be?
I also found that when I started cutting (planing) you could hear the motor struggle and start to slow down.
The 1,800w motor for mine cost about £75. If you're going to replace yours, don't forget to check with people like Charnwood who may sell a suspiciously identical-looking table saw of their own... (Their motors may be cheaper?) :wink:

The original motor on my machine was 2,200w, although the new one runs perfectly fine. I think the problems started when I was using an extension lead also - I also used an auto-switching extractor when it actually 'went'; not a very clever idea!!

Anyway, I hope this helps somewhat to get your problem sorted. :)

Yes that sounds very similar although it starts off as quickly as normal but then as you say wont go up to full power. It looks like its running as normal but struggles and stops on a pice of 2x3 softwood, looks like i'll be shelling out for a new motor. I waited over three months for a capacitor from Fox and eventually the shop i bought the saw in supplied me with similar one as Fox just didn't bother sorting it out

Thanks for the help.

Back