Table saw dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the Fox 10" tablesaw which as far as I can tell look very similar to the Axminster one as well as various others.

I like the machine and have no real gripes about it but I do find the dust extraction to unsatisfactory and wondered if anyone else had similar experiences or hopefully some better ones I can copy.

I have the Axminster fine filter extractor:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-...e-Dust-Extractor-with-Acoustic-Hood-35528.htm

which I have tried connected directly to the 4" port on the back of the machine. I have also tried connecting it directly to the port on the top of the guard.

As far as I can tell, the port on the base does very little and all the dust simply misses it and ends up on the floor of the machine. The best results I have had is with the extractor connected to the guard but there is still plenty of dust going below the table.

I'm curious to know what other people use and if they have found a system that works well with this kind of machine.

Thanks
Mike

The main problem is that your extractor moves relatively small amounts of air at high pressure (great for the guard but almost useless for the main port). For the main port you really need something that moves lots of air to capture the dust before it has chance to escape.

Something with 1000m³/hr or more is necessary for decent extraction IMO. I've got the ADE2200 and find it more than sufficient for my needs. (I've added 2 of these which increases airflow even more).

Thanks Dave

That does make sense as there does seem to be very little by way of airflow when extracting through the main dust port. The extractor does work well for other machines though, so maybe I need a dedicated high flow one for the saw.

Just one more question, I cut a lot of MDF, is the machine you mentioned still useful when used with the fine filter?

Thanks again
Mike

Which fine filters? If you are referring to the ones I linked to then yes, they filter down to 0.5 microns which is more than adequate for MDF dust. I'm not sure of the fine filter axminster sell for that particular extractor but it seems a bit pricey to me.

Dave,

(I've added 2 of these which increases airflow even more).

Dave I am trying not to sound thick here but can you tell me how you fit the 2 of them to your extractor?
Another thing that puzzles me is the information on Ebay states that the filters are open on both ends, so if this is the case how are they used?

I notice that Axminster sell a fine cartridge for you dx, are the Ebay filters the same as these, and do they supply them for most dust extractors?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT Our posts seem to have crossed.

Cheers

Mike

Using some 12mm MDF and silicone I blanked off one end of one of the filters. I then siliconed the 2 filters together and using some more MDF made the remaining open end fit the top half of the extractor.

Due to low ceiling heights I mounted the fan unit on the wall and screwed the filters to the ceiling and then replaced the bottom cloth bag with a plastic one.

Hi. Have a look at the pictures on this thread if you need some clues as to how to rig up these filters.

Steve

Latest posts

Back