table saw buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beast

Reaction score
Hi there i am new to the site but i have been reading and browsing the site for advice ....... and yes it's the age old question table saw advice (sorry in advance) there are a few i have been looking at which include. Charnwood W619 8" Cast Iron Table Saw with Sliding Carriage £500 / Axminster Hobby TS-200 Basic Table Saw & Accessories - PACKAGE DEAL £450 / grizzly G0715P 10" Hybrid Table Saw with Riving Knife, Polar Bear Series £550 /£700 grizzly G0661 10" 2 HP Contractor Style Table Saw with Riving Knife / or a second hand Scheppach TS 2500 Table Saw around £500 / there are a few others i have seen but these are the top runners at the mo ...... i have been selling my soul to the devil (well on e bay) to get the cash for this so i want the best for the cash as we all do. if anyone has used or knows and has experience of the above saws or any other options i should consider they will be gratefully received. and i have been reading a lot on this forum lol ... i dont want anything to big but i do need some thing with a bit of grunt and cast iron really. it will be used a fair bit too. at a really big push my budget is £700 but that's pushing it.

thank you !

I was in the same boat as you this time last year. I opted for the Charnwood, think I payed around £430 from polewood machinery. It's quite a good little saw. Although I do have some issues. The fence is rubbish. Really rubbish. And the miter slots are only 15mm which makes it difficult to get an aftermarket miter gauge. And don't be fooled by the video Charnwood put on YouTube, once it's all put together it is a major hassle to take the table extensions off for storage. That said, it's great value and has a decent motor, sliding carriage is nice and accurate. I've used it to cut oak, maple and walnut without any problems. I use it nearly every day.

Does it have to be new?

Is cast iron a must have?

When you say not too big, does it need to be stored away, or can it be pushed to the side?

I have just bought a kity 618. By the time I had it delivered it will stand me at around £300 (although it doesn't have the sliding table). It appears to be a good foundation for what I want- max cut 95mm, 13A plug, proper base cabinet etc for instance. The fence is usable as is, but I am going to replace it with a premium (shop made) version, and I already have a good mitre gauge that I am going to adapt to fit it. There is probably 70 quids worth of mitre gauge and 60 quids worth of fence bits, but when done it will be a brilliant bit of kit that will last me for years. I may even be able to sell the standard mitre gauge because they are hard to come by! I didnt need the sliding carriage, but a saw with it on would have been about 50 more. It is worth looking at options like doing this, because it may last you longer than the beginners saw will. That said, there is always a market for used ts200's.

Fishandchips":170ny4e2 said:
What you cutting?

Do you need power or finess?

well a bit of both really :) i like the grizzly and i am swayed towards that if i am honest as it has a 2hp motor and i hear great things about there fence system as well which is important as i started with a clarke 10 inch (enough said) but we all have to start some where :-( but i have taken to saving up and getting some mid range gear which will last.

thank you !

Mar_mite":27ned5hu said:
I was in the same boat as you this time last year. I opted for the Charnwood, think I payed around £430 from polewood machinery. It's quite a good little saw. Although I do have some issues. The fence is rubbish. Really rubbish. And the miter slots are only 15mm which makes it difficult to get an aftermarket miter gauge. And don't be fooled by the video Charnwood put on YouTube, once it's all put together it is a major hassle to take the table extensions off for storage. That said, it's great value and has a decent motor, sliding carriage is nice and accurate. I've used it to cut oak, maple and walnut without any problems. I use it nearly every day.

I think i read your thread before you took the plunge :) and that is one of the reasons it's on my list. now you have said that about the fence that is a bit of a concern but after market fence could be used. and the only other thing is the 8 inch blade. but i could live with that i think ? i did watch the youtube video on it and it looked good. sounds like it has some good points as well though. do you wish you had gone for some thing else now ?

all the best !

the beast":1j66oc52 said:
Fishandchips":1j66oc52 said:
What you cutting?

Do you need power or finess?

well a bit of both really :) i like the grizzly and i am swayed towards that if i am honest as it has a 2hp motor and i hear great things about there fence system as well which is important as i started with a clarke 10 inch (enough said) but we all have to start some where :-( but i have taken to saving up and getting some mid range gear which will last.

thank you !

sorry i will cutting a fair bit of thick wood to start off with as i am just starting to design and build the work shop. (single brick garage which i will be posting story and pics) and i am using some scaffold boards for some outdoor stuff and there is a fair bit of it to saw. but once that is all said and done. smaller stuff oak mahogany beech etc. the shop will be used to make a modest income.

thanks again !

marcros":1cz0mg04 said:
Does it have to be new?

Is cast iron a must have?

When you say not too big, does it need to be stored away, or can it be pushed to the side?

I have just bought a kity 618. By the time I had it delivered it will stand me at around £300 (although it doesn't have the sliding table). It appears to be a good foundation for what I want- max cut 95mm, 13A plug, proper base cabinet etc for instance. The fence is usable as is, but I am going to replace it with a premium (shop made) version, and I already have a good mitre gauge that I am going to adapt to fit it. There is probably 70 quids worth of mitre gauge and 60 quids worth of fence bits, but when done it will be a brilliant bit of kit that will last me for years. I may even be able to sell the standard mitre gauge because they are hard to come by! I didnt need the sliding carriage, but a saw with it on would have been about 50 more. It is worth looking at options like doing this, because it may last you longer than the beginners saw will. That said, there is always a market for used ts200's.

It doesn't have to be new (but after some bad buying a warranty would be nice)

cast iron yes as i need it to last and be acurate !

not stored it can be pushed to the side i am keeping a space for it (single brick garage) by not too big the size of that kitty is about right for what im looking at. and i didn't even look at kity. i will have a good look at reviews. it will be used to build my workshop with recycled wood (it's first task) i dont mind going down the same route and pimping a basic but good saw up. but i would say i am still a beginner and dont want to tackle my own fence or anything just yet lol ..... but there are some nice after market fences etc about.

thank you for your reply ! much apprecaited :)

The kity is cast (annodised) aluminium.

I have seen a lot of fences in the USA, but nothing much available this side of the pond. It isnt too bad to make one from what I have seen. I will be able to report back when I have done so.

marcros":3dxk5syy said:
The kity is cast (annodised) aluminium.

I have seen a lot of fences in the USA, but nothing much available this side of the pond. It isnt too bad to make one from what I have seen. I will be able to report back when I have done so.

That's what i dont get we should have more after market parts built over here. be cool to see your fence when it's all done :)

thanks again !

the beast":11baqr3s said:
Mar_mite":11baqr3s said:

I think i read your thread before you took the plunge :) and that is one of the reasons it's on my list. now you have said that about the fence that is a bit of a concern but after market fence could be used. and the only other thing is the 8 inch blade. but i could live with that i think ? i did watch the youtube video on it and it looked good. sounds like it has some good points as well though. do you wish you had gone for some thing else now ?

all the best !

I'm pleased with it, I've had it about ten months and it's done loads of work in that time and hasn't missed a beat. I think I made the right choice, it has got a s*it fence but it's amazing how quickly you adapt and work round a problem.
Just googled the scheppach 2500ci. That looks like a better saw.

Good luck!

Mar_mite":2b8i8xyu said:
the beast":2b8i8xyu said:
Mar_mite":2b8i8xyu said:

all the best !

I'm pleased with it, I've had it about ten months and it's done loads of work in that time and hasn't missed a beat. I think I made the right choice, it has got a s*it fence but it's amazing how quickly you adapt and work round a problem.

Good luck!

just found some nice excalibur aswell ..... the grizzlys are out now due to the 60hz problem :-( but i think i will go for the excalibur 10 tilting arbour saw ! thanks for the reply !!

all the best

Well after much mooching about and reading reviews i am going for the 10" tilting arbour saw from excalibur ......... they have upgraded this model now and will all be cast iron now :) should be available in two weeks ! will post some pics and do a review on it when i get it. thanks for all the replies !

the beast":1e8fu86b said:
Well after much mooching about and reading reviews i am going for the 10" tilting arbour saw from excalibur ......... they have upgraded this model now and will all be cast iron now :) should be available in two weeks ! will post some pics and do a review on it when i get it. thanks for all the replies !
Looking forward to your review,
thinking about new table saw myself & at the moment it's between the axminster AW10BSB2 & the excalibur 10" cabinet saw 3HP

Tommy

THC":lpoixfd8 said:
the beast":lpoixfd8 said:
Looking forward to your review,
thinking about new table saw myself & at the moment it's between the axminster AW10BSB2 & the excalibur 10" cabinet saw 3HP

Tommy

I really wish i could get that model as i did want the extra hp but i am hard pushed to make the budget for the smaller one but i am sure it will be really good anyway. i will have to see your review as well :) should have it next week hopefully. i will post some pics and let you know how it all goes :)

Mar_mite":y0hzpm8f said:
the beast":y0hzpm8f said:
Mar_mite":y0hzpm8f said:

all the best !

Good luck!

have you sorted the fence out on yours ? if so was it after market or self made ? that sheppach is out of my price range i think. just had expensive car bill so money not what it was. do you know if the bigger charnwood has similar trouble with the fence ? polewood is a great site by the way :) ££££ could be saved ..... still looking at the excalibur but the price inc vat and delivery has bumped it up :-( so back to square one at the mo ! I WANT A SAW lol (but has to be the right one) impulse buying not my good point

Nah, I just work with it. It does the job, it's just not smooth. You have to turn a knob to lock it down. I'm on Worcester park in surrey if you wanted to come and have a look.

Cheers, George.

Mar_mite":8as4vo9o said:
Nah, I just work with it. It does the job, it's just not smooth. You have to turn a knob to lock it down. I'm on Worcester park in surrey if you wanted to come and have a look.

Cheers, George.

Hi george !

well i have ordered the same charnwood now :) after a massive mot bill my funds whent sadly down hill. thanks for the offer but i live a fair old way from you. i cant wait until it gets here. i have a ton of wood ready marked up to put it through it's paces. do you ever use a sled ? .... thought about what you said about the mitre slots being narrow and could easily get past that with a home made jig out of some nice solid wood. and a heavy duty bar for the runner :)

I never bothered to make a sled. I might though. I use the sliding table quite a lot. I've got a plunge saw so I do wide cross cuts with that. The crosscut fence is simple to get square with the blade, there is a cam adjustment for that. Although the table itself did take a bit of fettling to get it to run on the same plane as the main table. The blade that came with it is fine for rough ripping, mine tends to wobble a bit. Cheap blade. Most of my work is with mdf or veneered boards, so I use a fine blade from Axminster (£17.) the only down side is the axi blade is thinner than the riving knife. So I just take it off (to cut mdf).

Back