Table saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam86

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for a new table saw, and have a budget of £1000. I will be using it for furniture making, and I want something capable of great accuracy. I also think that a sliding table would be almost essential.
At the moment Im looking at the Jet cts250 (old version with half cabinet base) which I can get for £999, and the charnwood w635 which is available for £879. The Jet looks very well built, but I haven't had the chance to see the Charnwood yet. It has a greater cutting capacity that the Jet, and the sliding table is larger - so it seems good. Has anyone had any experience with this machine? Or does anyone have any other reccomendations?
Im also looking into purchaseing a planer thicknesser - with a budget of upto £800. The Scheppach hms260ci seems to me like the best choice, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be really grateful to hear them.
Thanks for your help..........

adam86":3sx04tce said:
I'm currently in the market for a new table saw, and have a budget of £1000. I will be using it for furniture making, and I want something capable of great accuracy. I also think that a sliding table would be almost essential.
Were I you I'd seriously consider going secondhand and looking for a Startrite TA/SP275DS or a TA1250 if you can find one. There's a thread here which may help gen. you up on the Startrite. DB Keighley do sell refurbished machines just about within your budget. The Startrite is a much more substantial, accurate and durable machine than the small KuFOs, Jets, etc. as long as you have the space.

Scrit

Thanks for your advice. I have considered buying secondhand - but I kind of wrote it off because of the hassle thats involved. You never know exactly what you're getting, what the history of the machine is, the lack of any guarentee, and the issues of collecting and transproting a heavy machine etc. But if you think the benefits of a machine like a Startrite outweigh these problems then I maybe I should reconsider. I'll check out DB Keighley and have a look on ebay.

Adam

Firstly welocme to the forum.

Have you considered the table saws from Woodford Woodworking Machinery, there are a few members with these table saws.

regarding the PT I have the Jet 310, this is slightly more than you have budgeted for but might be worth saving the extra pennies for.

The Jet Planer looks fantastic but I really dont think I could afford it. As for the xcalibur saws, they look top notch too. However, I don't think the sliding table option would be within budget. Perhaps if I forgot the sliding table I might be able to get a better saw for my money - and I could always consider buying a sliding table at a later date when funds allow. Hmm, more to consider! All these suggestions are much appreciated - thanks for all the help!

Adam

I live a few miles away from Charnwood and have bought a lot of their kit over the years that I am highly pleased with.
However, I don't like that tablesaw - only had a look around it though

Adam,

I have the supersaw with leg base and can recommend it. Minimal vibration, accurate cutting, easy adjustment, large table area and plenty of power.

cheers,
jonathan.

Adam, please don't buy the foreign (stuff) buy a second hand startrite or sedgwick.These machines are of industrial capacity,you will not regret buying the right machine,believe me!

Chris72":1gx2d8de said:
Adam, please don't buy the foreign (stuff) buy a second hand startrite or sedgwick.These machines are of industrial capacity,you will not regret buying the right machine,believe me!

What is this all about :?

Trying to point the man in the right direction,and probably winding a few owners of other table saws up(i shall dive behind cover!)
Chris

Back