Table saw act in the USA not passed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting!

Thought the guy who invented sawstop moaning was funny really, he was probably just planning what he was going to do with the millions of $$$ he was going to make!!!

you only have to watch a few yank videos to see why there so accident prone, a riving knife is a rare sight! I never really understand why as its such a simple thing that could make a massive difference when the dung hits the fan, I understand the issue with passing timber over the blade for cutting rebates, but I just have my riving knife 5mm lower than the blade!

and those mitre fences they use are lethal really theres just no reason to have your hands so close to the blade.

adidat

interesting!

Thought the guy who invented sawstop moaning was funny really, he was probably just planning what he was going to do with the millions of $$$ he was going to make!!!

you only have to watch a few yank videos to see why there so accident prone, a riving knife is a rare sight! I never really understand why as its such a simple thing that could make a massive difference when the dung hits the fan, I understand the issue with passing timber over the blade for cutting rebates, but I just have my riving knife 5mm lower than the blade!

and those mitre fences they use are lethal really theres just no reason to have your hands so close to the blade.

adidat

Not the whole of the USA just California which admittedly is one of the weirder states.

As an alternative, those who oppose the bill want stricter, more aggressive safety education/training and better saw blade guards as the solution.
Really? Well fancy that! :? :?

I suspect Americans will continue to demand the right to feed bits of themselves into high speed revolving bits of steel, - it's only constitutional innit? :D

One thing I did notice was the act was for saws under 12" dia, does this mean that Mr Sawstop's technology does not actually work on bigger blades?

Or is it a case that he knows if he tries to get industry to accept it he will lose.

Well it's quite clear that with Bosch losing this battle many more sausages will be injured whilst wood working :)

It's like car airbags: let's all surround ourself with explosives...

And no, it most probably does not work with larger blades, because of the kinetic energy they have. One reason Sawstop table saws are so well made is that the bearings, trunnions, etc. have to withstand the forces involved when the protection system detonates.

When I was trying to fit a lightbulb brake to my KGS300, I did the calculations. I can't remember the detail but IIRC, the KE goes up with the square of the moment of inertia, which in turn depends on the mass and the radius of the disc (blade), and obviously the mass increases with the blade diameter too.

Back