table saw accuracy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildewood

Established Member
Reaction score
hi does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate cut table saw - i see there is a Proxxon FET which promises high accuracy (at the cost of depth of cut) but it looks a bit flimsy.

I have a small shed/workshop but wanted a a table saw to cut smooth straight lines, i have Bas15 for my rougher cutting anyway any help or saws for sale appreciated all the best S

A tablesaw is as accurate as you set it up to be.
I have a Startrite 275 ...its a managable piece of kit.
Its got a three phase motor which I run with a VFD.
I can use a standard 13a plug, unlike if it had came with a single phase motor
I would need a 16a plug.
The reason I can use a regular plug is VFD's can be programmed for a ramped startup ...
No huge leccy consumption, nor momentum kick on startup, meaning a closer fitting zero clearance insert.

The blade is an important factor if the highest level of accuracy is wanted.
I've not noticed anything that bothered me too much
Tm

When you say accurate, how inaccurate is yours and how accurate are you looking for?
I have an old Elektra Beckum and with a decent blade (I have a Freud) and the fence adjusted it cuts to < 0.5mm error over ~ 2m length which is the biggest I can get in my workshop without rotating the saw and cutting out of the door.
The sliding table on mine isn’t brilliant and for mitres I use a sled but for straight ripping it’s fine.

A power feeder and sharp blade will make life much simpler, if you are looking for
accuracy of < 0.5mm.
Dedicated blade for rip and crosscutting is also good to have.
Above all sharpness.

Ttrees":2vqnxtbm said:
A tablesaw is as accurate as you set it up to be.

Tm

I am of this thinking as well. Not used a cheap saw but if the blade is sharp, the fence is well clamped and the bearings are sound cant see why a cheapo saw would cut any worse than an expensive model.

What you do get with an expensive machine is better fences, accurate scales, more power and flat tables. All these help achieve fast repeatable setting but for one of set ups a cheap saw well set up should get by. I should add this is for ripping or crosscutting using a sled. Crosscut tables are a different matter.

Latest posts

Back