Table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Weegie

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a new table insert. I have been putting to much pressure on the blade whilst cutting, which has resulted in the plastic table insert being badly damaged.
:oops: :oops:
I contacted the company with regards to a replacement.
I was quoted £18.00 for 1 replacement and delivery. Is this a fair price.
Is there any where else that I could get a replacement.

The model is the 16" SIP.

Could you make a new one? I knocked one up from 3mm hardboard to replace the one in my saw that had big slots in it to alow for pivoting. I never used the pivot and small peices kept falling though the gaps.

I used a hole-saw to cut the disc out and sanded the edges to fit. Not sure what the insert is like on your saw.

£18 :shock: Not a chance in hell that it costs that to manufacture - are you sure you asked for an insert and not a new table? As said, most scrollers knock one up out of ply. As a word of warning though, make sure it is not higher than the existing table as if you do compound cutting this will severely knacker the finished product (DAMHIKT). If it is high, use a sharp chisel to take it down using the table as a guide.

Steve

stevebuk":11037d3q said:
trace around the outline of your existing one, and scroll saw yourself one out.

That's what I've done. In fact, I made a point of cutting one that was several times too thick, then sliced it on a band saw so I had a couple of spares.

StevieB":j500imkw said:
£18 :shock: Not a chance in hell that it costs that to manufacture - are you sure you asked for an insert and not a new table? As said, most scrollers knock one up out of ply. As a word of warning though, make sure it is not higher than the existing table as if you do compound cutting this will severely knacker the finished product (DAMHIKT). If it is high, use a sharp chisel to take it down using the table as a guide.

Steve

I thought that it was a bit pricey. Its £9 for the insert and the rest is delivery. I did ask them for other stockists. They did not reply :roll:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Making one out of wood is a great idea. I didn't think of that :oops: :D

My next project for tommorow.

Cheers.

pren":hyk7ibcw said:
slots in it to alow for pivoting. I never used the pivot and small peices kept falling though the gaps.

Sorry to sound a thicko Bryn but I`m new to this and noticed my saw insert has large slots in the insert too whats the `pivoting` you refer to please??
Cheers
Steve

Not a daft question at all, and the large slot is not really necessary. Most scrollers, when they make a ply or similar insert, just cut a slot into it the thickness of the blade so there is zero space around the blade entry point. Agreed if you need to tilt the table the slot will need to be a little wider, but do it slowly with the blade running and the insert in place and the blade will cut its own minimum hole. If you dont want to rrisk the blade just drill a 1mm hole for the blade entry point and cut to the hole as before for a zero clearance insert.

Any cutting action and pivoting of the workpiece will put lateral pressure on the blade and cause the insert to be gradually cut away round the blade entry. Simply replace when this tolerance becomes too much for you. Metal inserts last longer but suffer the same fate eventually as well as knackering blades designed to cut wood. I have even seen people put a sheet of prespex over the entire table and thread the blade through a small hole each time they want to change it. Not ideal for lots of fret work though.

Steve.

Back