Sycamore Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickymint

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel my turning technique is starting to improve a bit, I'm chuffed to bits with this bowl on a number of counts:

1) The Sycamore was a joy to turn

DickyMint-SycamoreBowl1Apr06.jpg

2) The figuring on the outer rays gives a wonderful shimmery 3-D effect.

DickyMint-SycamoreBowl3Apr06.jpg

3) The bowl has an image of Elvis on the outside :shock:

DickyMint-SycamoreBowl5Apr06.jpg

Dicky Mint

Nice bowl.

But even nicer signature tag. I'm often ridiculed at home because I roll on the floor at "Time flys like an arrow, Fruit Flies like a banana". None of my family or friends find it funny or even understand it. They think it's even less funny than my favourite joke....

Name two crustaceans? (answer in my signature below)

Thanks for making me smile today.
Phil

(Kings Crustacean and Charing Crustacean)

GSNOW,

Not shelfish are we? :shock:

Noddy Holder walks into a cafe in trendy London, he say's (in a real Black Country [Brummy] accent);

I'd love a cup-a-ty, to which the woman responds, sorry luv, we don't sell dodgy fashion clothing.... (cup-a-ty=cup of tea but sounds like Kipper tie :!: , try sayin it in Brummy! :wink: )

Did you know that the basis for Latin originated from the Black Country?

Hark at him, hark at her, hark at us. (probably fall on stony ground to all those whose wouldn't understand:'allo mi luva's, am u bin dowin, olright?)

DM,

Very nice indeed mate - you are entitled to feel chuffed with it!

I am not normally a big fan of Sycamore, as I find it a bit bland, but then every so often I see a piece like yours which makes me review my opinions!

Regards

Gary

Hi TT,

The funny thing is, that when I cut up the board, this was the "Ugly Duckling Piece".
Most of the board was clear of imperfections, but this piece was marred with some sort of bark inclusion, fortunately it "turned out". Excuse the pun :lol: .

Regards,

Dicky Mint

a lot of people stay away from sycamore because it can be a bit bland and boring but every now and then somthing like this pops up.
i had two planks of sycamore that i cut into strips to make a segmented lamp and it wasnt until i had the assembled piece on the lathe and rough turned did i realise that there was a lovely shimmer of grey running right through the sycamore that shone like a mirror when fished.
i will always regret cutting those planks up as all i have left are some small lenghts of 2x1.
the lamp looks nice though

Latest posts

Back