Swollen chip board repair (water damage)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob.

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got this old record player from the early 60's, my plan is to restore it, Its a lovely old thing and well worth some effort.

The lid and plinth are chip board with veneer, the veneer could well be vinyl.

At some point the edges of two bits of chip board got wet and have swollen.

Without having ever had to deal with water damaged chip board my plan is to water down some PVA, apply to the damaged area with a syringe then clamp up nice and flat in a vice until dry.

Unless you guys know of a better way to sort this?

Ill post some photos up in a bit after I've eaten my tea.

DSCF2792.jpg

DSCF2794.jpg

DSCF2789.jpg

DSCF2793.jpg

DSCF2791.jpg

What do you guys think? My gut feeling is its beyond repair but try I must.

Rob, you could look for an old piece of furniture to cannibalize to replace the failed chipboard. I don't mean hack up an antique but an unloved C20th sideboard from junk shop could be ideal
Matt

Shrubby":2gd0qssu said:
Rob, you could look for an old piece of furniture to cannibalize to replace the failed chipboard. I don't mean hack up an antique but an unloved C20th sideboard from junk shop could be ideal
Matt

I did think about that matt but Id never be able to match the veneer with the record players plinth, so I'd have to build a new plinth as well. The only problem is I don't have a router to gut the grooves into it, if it wasn't for that I'd be heading down that road without giving it a second thought..

I think this is in the realm of theoretically possible, but once you get down to it you'll hit the practical limits of how much you can move chipboard back into shape without it cracking. You have nothing to lose trying it so why not give it a whirl, maybe the material will surprise you?

Shrubby's plan sounds very sensible, assuming you have the means to form the grooves.

You are right, I have nothing to lose. This is what it should look like when its all put together.

xDUAL_1009_no1-1.jpg

Perhaps the easiest way might be to cut two new panels from MDF? Get a local joinery place to cut the grooves then veneer the whole lot, lid and plinth. Ive never veneered before but how difficult could it be?

My two pennies worth.

Take an iron, or a source of heat, and very carefully see if you can remove the end veneer. It should with any luck be a heat activated glue that's holding it on. Once removed, I would then cut the offending piece off slitting through the end. Clamp the separate wooden bits up. Then apply glue and compress each of the wooden pieces to remove the inevitable voids. Now plane / chisel / cut the pieces to size so it fits back and seats properly. If the slit has reduced the height of the separated piece you can now make / add a thin strip of soft wood to make up the difference....and no one with ever know!

Use a card scraper to carefully clean up the removed veneer. Apply animal glue to both the veneer and the chipboard and reapply the veneer. Clamp it on. If you've not got it right, and it will be fiddly, you can remove / adjust it with a bit of heat easily.

Latest posts

Back