suspended ceilings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roman

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to lower my existing kitchen ceiling by approximately six inches to accomodate ducting and make the fit fitting of spotlights easier and neater. Has anyone done this? If so is it better to use timber (presumably use 2by 2? and spacings as per normal studwork?) or the metal stud systems that seem to be increasingly common but of which I have no experience.

many thanks

roman

Depends what your new ceiling will be made from. If it is plasterboard then I would suggest 3x2 minimum unless you can use a short span say 2m or less if you have a long narrow kitchen.

I don't think kitchens have to comply with min 2.3m ceiling height (not classed as habitable accommodation) but you should check that.

hth

Bob

Roman

If you want to keep timber size to a minimum you could use 2x2 and put hangers to the ceiling above,personally I prefer using wood as I find it easier to work with,metal is basically the same but you cut it with aviation snips and either use self tappers or a crimping tool to join it I find self tappers the better option.Where the metal wins over wood is lightness and the fact that it comes straight and stays straight and is also better as a fire stop.

Dennis

I've done it several times in bathrooms & kitchens. If the height allows then I fit CLS at right angles to the joists ever meter or so and shim these level. I then run more CLS in the opposite direction at 400mm cts to suit standard plasterboard.

It is also possibel to fit plates to two oposite walls and then fix joists between these depending on the spans involved.

If you do go the steel route then make sure you get the right sections for ceilings such as Gyproc MF as the "C" or "I" studs and "U" channels that the sheds sell are for vertical studwork.

Jason

oops, at that spacing I would have a solid wood ceiling :wink:

Jason

Thank you chaps! Most helpful. Will investigate the metal route but may fall back on timber as i konw where I am with that.

roman

if your good with wood use 2x2 and use hanger like advised earler,id also use taperdedge plasterboard and jointing plaster it will save you getting a plaster in :wink:

metal system are realy good and quick when your doing them alot,but if your ony buying for one room your not going to get a good price

how far is your ducting going?

Do you have to lower the whole ceiling or could you put a bulkhead around the perimeter like this..

2172510543_79109efd83.jpg

Crikey. Hadn't considered a bulkhead. The kitchen will probably be a painted shaker style. I'm not sure it would carry off what is quite a modern look, but I like it,it adds interest and light. Is it easy to carry off?

Probably easier and cheaper than lowering the whole ceiling, depends on the space you've got really. It does help to maintain the height as it makes the room feel larger.

Latest posts

Back