Surprise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe that every now and again we all get offered wood in one form or another. sometimes we are pleasantly surprised with what we get and at other times it is a disappointment. Friends often think they are doing us a big favour when they offer us something they think would be useful only to discover that it is veneered chipboard and totally useless, we don't say anything, we just discreetly dispose of it because every now and again they come up with a gem and I am sure we have all been in this sort of situation.

Quite often I have been given wood only to be disappointed, for many years now particle boards have been cleverly disguised to look like real wood and the average person is led to believe that it is but the experienced scroller can usually tell at a glance what lies beneath the surface. I had a phone call yesterday from a customer of mine, she said she had an organ and would I like it for the wood. My immediate thoughts were that it would probably be one of those MDF veneered ones that were very popular some years ago and made to look as if it were made from mahogany or some other hardwood.

As we talked on the phone she explained that the organ was to good to be smashed up and taken to the tip, she was at her brothers home, who was the warden of the local church. Ane then came the golden nugget, she said it was over 200 years old, long before the introduction of MDF and chipboard. I was now all ears. The church in question is quite close to the craft fair and I will be calling in on the way home from it tomorrow. The lady asked what sort of car I had so i told her and from what she said I knew that the organ would be huge for even if the car was empty i would never get it all in on one trip.

The lady said there was no rush, I could call in every Tuesday on the way home and take as much as i could on each visit. She said i would need to take screw drivers and other tools as they would leave it to me to decide how best to dismantle it. It all sounds so very interesting and I am sure from what she said it is all made from hardwoods and will be very useful, even if it is covered in thick varnish. when I cut a piece for a pattern it will probably be clean on one side and then all I have to do is put it on the big belt sander for a few seconds and I will be back to bare wood again. To say I am excited would be an under statement. I will let you all know what transpires from my visit.

I almost killed myself scoring a massive oak door from the tip. When I started cutting it into useful pieces OF FLIPPIN' VENEERED CHIPBOARD ... well, enough said.

(See how I resisted making the ''large organ'' joke?)

if it is solid then all I can say is you lucky lucky alchohol service technician

Latest posts

Back