Suppliers of 100mm or 150mm ducting?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philb88

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any suppliers of 100mm or 150mm ducting? Looking for the SpiraDuct metal type or some of the flex hose!

Just wondering if anyone had any cheaper supplies as a ducted system seems to be adding up to a costly adventure!

PHIL

I use 110mm soil pipe which is readily available and can be converted to 100mm by means of 100mm blast gates that glue nicely into the inside or 110mm pipe which is about 104/105mm.
You can also get soil pipe in 160mm but you will possibly need to go to a proper builders merchant. I expect the same trick with a 150mm blast gate will work too
The underground version (orange-brown colour) is usually cheaper as it does not have UV stabilisers in the plastic which should be fine for indoor use.

All sorts of dire warnings can be found about static but I have been using uPVC pipe for my system of several years and had no problems at all.

Bob

The underground version (orange-brown colour) is usually cheaper as it does not have UV stabilisers in the plastic which should be fine for indoor use.

A nice tip that Bob, cheers i will have to get swmbo to pop in and get me a few lengths of the orange-brown pipe. any way found to do anything a little cheaper is allways welcome. :)

Cheers

Dave

Dave, you can get it delivered from Toolstation free of carriage charges

110mm £16.50 for 2 x 3m, 160mm 1x 3m £24.87 all inc vat
110mm grey is £22.96 for 2x3m although the grey has a socket on one end of each pipe

Chamfer cut ends and anoint with grease (any type you have to hand) to make assembly (and disassembly easier)

Bob

Cheers guys! The Soil pipe sounds like a good idea! Should be cheaper for the corner and Y section pieces too. As they seem the pricey bits in the galvanised ducting.

If you worried about Static I guess you could just Earth the pipes?

Cheers

Had a look at Toolstation Bob free delivery is allways good :) What would you recomend m8, Ali or Plastic for the blast Gates ?

Same here Phil for the Y section pieces,

Cheers

Dave

I've only used plastic gates like those that axi now only seem to sell as part of a kit :roll:
I got mine second hand.
One tip though. ALWAYS install them with the gate horizontal other
wise dust collects in the groove for the closure plate and after a while they won't close. The only tool that I have found to sort this out is a long series 2mm allen key to scrape out the compressed dust that collects. I've not tried aluminium ones.

You could always make your own and design out that particular problem. To make a 100mm collar for the flexi pipe, cut a short length of 110mm pipe off say 50mm long, make a lengthwise slot in it so that when squeezed shut, the diameter is 100mm.
Hold the gap shut with a couple of 100mm jubilee clips and glue the strip you cut out on the inside to seal the join. Solvent weld cement is ideal for this. Allow to dry overnight before taking the clips off.

If you happen to be travelling to France, their soil pipe 100mm OD and you can buy 2m lengths in their sheds, take a saw and cut in half and you can slide bottles of win inside and the pipes take very little extra room in the car!!

You can make a gentle 90 degree bend from a 45 degree branch followed by a 45 degree bend.

hth

Bob

Edit: I see that rutlands do both plastic and Ali gates and the ali ones do not seem to suffer from the problem but the price of either is appalling - I'd suggest the home made route especially if you are on a budget.

Back