Summerhouse (picture heavy)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petermillard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.

As some of you know, I usually make a living out of making MDF boxes cunningly disguised as fitted wardrobes, alcove units, bookcases and shelving, so this was a bit of a departure for me. A gardener pal had a customer who wanted a summerhouse built, but had exacting aesthetic requirements - in other words, she wanted a fancy shed and was happy to pay for it! We met last year but what with one thing and another, I didn't get started until this January - perfect timing for my largest outdoor project to date...

Anyway, off and on I've spent a happy few months turning this:-

13800361975_62abcaec0d_z.jpg

into this:-

13800360085_9ffcc2a6b4_z.jpg

So, the top photo is of the cleared site at the bottom of the garden of this terraced house in West London. There was a small garden shed in the bottom right that was removed , and which you can see at the left of the pic. With the site cleared, I could get the base down:-

13800362115_8c2a3468b6_z.jpg

then the back and side walls up...

13800376803_6e86627157_z.jpg

then the front framework in place...

13800698824_d5378703a4_z.jpg

The roof members were built in the workshop (slowly - my first roof) but slotted together very quickly onsite, then the whole thing clad in corrugated plastic sheet for temporary weatherproofing, which was much needed...

13800698774_da4fe18e81_z.jpg

So now we wait for fair weather. And we wait. And wait some more... Eventually, we have a couple of days of not-too-bad weather forecast, so with the help of a pal we get the glass roof panels fitted. In the interim, the customer's asked for roof lights, just for ventilation, which I've duly incorporated...

13800360785_966377bf82_z.jpg

Again, I'm weathered off for few weeks, but eventually we find a 'window' when I can get the doors and sidelights fitted, and at the end of a long, long day, we're all weatherproof:-

13800697984_4aa1cfb18f_z.jpg

Deliberate mistake? Yep, the fluted capping piece on the LHS upright had the fluting running slightly out of true, so was removed and remade. I fitted it the next day or so, when the structure was essentially finished - or so I thought...

13800360625_b5e34f6442_z.jpg

13800360655_b5bc87c693_z.jpg

So, anyone spot the *other* deliberate mistake?? Oh, and as a parting shot, the customer mentioned that she was probably going to have the back wall mirrored(!) Sounds crazy, but actually is (literally) brilliant:-

13800375573_02ba6d40cb_z.jpg

13800360305_23703d1d14_z.jpg

13800697314_a0c64a5f08_c.jpg

And this was how it looked yesterday, after I'd fixed that *other* mistake. Anyone?? (hint - it's the roof lights: we live and learn...)

13800360085_9ffcc2a6b4_z.jpg

Looks great, customer's delighted, and summer's a-comin'!

Now obviously I've skipped a few photos in this post - there's a ton of Celotex under the floor and in the walls, and plenty of breathable membrane spread about; all the electrics were done by my sparky, so were fully certificated, and the glass panels fabbed by a FENSA-registed glazier. And as a non-habitable outbuilding of ~6 sq m (a fancy shed, remember) it falls outside the scope of building regs.

So job done. It's been very interesting - my biggest single project, but with lots of sub-contract work where I was effectively the customer, which was all a bit weird; I'm much more used to working on my own and taking care of everything myself. Anyway, back to MDF boxes - and splinter-free woodworking, lol :)

Cheers, and thanks for taking a look. Pete.

Nice work - pity their choice of furniture spoils it? :)
Mirrored wall a great addition.

Rod

Thanks for all the positive comments. Framework is all Redwood, the cladding is WBP Ply and the doors / sidelights were an unspecified 'generic' hardwood. All painted though, so it probably could have been softwood!

Cheers, Pete

It's gorgeous but I always wonder why in summer you'd want to sit in a green house? anyway, well done... great build!

Nice job Pete looks like it blends in well with the dark colour.

Work is hectic at the moment I'm guessing you're in the same boat. Everyone I know is snowed under. I'm having to turn work down , wish I had a young lad to do all the extra work seems a shame to turn work down.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cheers guys. @MMUK - yes! At least, the customer's partner is very tall!
@Chippy1970 - yes Chris, been pretty crazy as well. Had some help from an old assistant of mine which really helped me get through the workload in the last few weeks. Away this week with the family, so had an incentive to get things finished on time!

Cheers, Pete

Nice job. Finish colour make a nice change too, as opposed to the usual dung brown or nasty green that garden buildings seem doomed to wear.

As mentioned their garden furniture isn't great, could be a future job...

Back