Suitable wood for a memorial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary H

Established Member
Reaction score
Still trying to get the 'woodshack' watertight in
Hi folks.
Not to sound too morbid, but my father died earlier this year and I'm considering making his grave memorial/'headstone' for next year. I'm mainly after information on the most suitable species of wood for construction other than the obvious oak. Don't know if this is the standard for this type of thing or if another wood is more common.
Design is in the early stages yet and I don't know if I can get permission, or whether local authorities insist on stone, etc. so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all...

Gary

hi never heard of a traditional wood for a memorial. but something durable like iroko or teak would be a good choice. yew is the traditional church yard tree but not sure how it would weather . oak looks great when it goes the weathered silver colour. hope this is some help andy

There was some correspondence on this in GWW some years ago (gads - 1997 :shock: ) and Iroko was suggested as an alternative to Oak then. Someone had also made one in Elm set into an Oak base. Charring or scorching the base of an Oak post on all sides up 6" above ground, 1/4- 1/2" deep, was also suggested as an effective means of preserving the wood below ground, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Gary

Before you make anything it would be worth checking with the authorities that you'll be allowed to erect a wooden memorial. Many cemeteries have strict regulations about that.

Gill

gill is right gary the various bodies involved (sorry :oops: ) but that is the
joy of the english language two or three meanings for the same word,
have different ideas of what is or not allowed

in general cemeteries have rules and rarely allow wood for permanent markers, but sometimes the local chuches are more amenable.

remember it is now down to "health and safety, good looks, and ease of mowing".

don't think oak is the correct wood if you are allowed, although it will look
right.

with family in the business, i know the difficulties of getting what you want in today's environment. ask first and be prepared for major difficulties plus enormous comparably expense.

sorry :roll:

paul :wink:

Assuming the authorities are co-operative, the best British wood that is resistant to damp splitting and wet is Elm - that is if you can get a single piece the right dimensions these days.

Elm was hollowed out in the middle ages and buried in the ground as water pipes. There are intact sections in the London Museum that have been extracted that are several centuries old.

It was the wood of choice for coffins for this reason.

Thanks for all your suggestions folks, I had never considered elm, iroko and the like. I'll certainly bear them in mind.

I figured I may have issues with local authorities, but on the plus side, he lived and is buried in a small village in Shropshire so I'm hoping they might be a little more 'relaxed' than others. I will do some enquiring first and see what the score is. I may get lucky, who knows.

I'll give an update when I know more, and if it goes ahead the usual WIP's etc. will follow.

Thanks again

Gary

Hello Garry,
I made an oak cross for my parents memorial 25 years ago and would like to pass on a few observations. The cross lasted quite well except were it was buried in soil. It rotted away over the years despite occasional refurbishing.
A lead cap on the top end grain is a must. I have just made a new cross out of Iroko and have fibre glass sheathed the section that is in the soil. You will have to ask my descendants if I was successful!
Regards,
Jim

Great, thanks for that Jim. Gives me another option if I can get past the authorities.

I did wonder about the section underground and how long it might last.
How did you sheath the base in fibreglass? Did you dip it in a liquid form or use sheet material formed to fit the base?

Thanks

Gary

Argus wrote:
Elm was hollowed out in the middle ages and buried in the ground as water pipes
The elm logs were also laid along side roads in olden times, new roads then followed the old route ..... hence we have the term 'trunk route' which still applies today. Just a little snippet - Rob

I bought a cheap kit in Halfords which included fibreglass cloth. I did think of using just the resin but did a 'proper job'

Jim

When I put my fence posts in, I drilled a 1" dia hole in the bottom about 6" deep, filled it with old engine oil and put in a wooden plug. I then sat it in creosote (I think its not sold now) for a week. The concrete was filled up to ground level and sloped away from the post. Over 20 years later and they are still ok.

Latest posts

Back