Suggetions on a post card.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been handed a Salamander Twin impeller pump. One like this.

esp50cpv_pump_1_2.jpg

At some point something has got jammed inside one impeller and stripped the vanes so it is no longer any use as a pump.

As a result, im left with a twin shaft 300w 2800 rpm motor and a nice little expansion vessel (no idea on its maximum pressure capacity yet).

I'm a bit of a womble. I like to collect and recycle/upcycle things, infact it's almost a compulsion :roll:

So, suggestion on a portcard as to what I should make from this. (hammer)

RogerS":2boyl12h said:
Why not get a set of spare vanes?

I don't need a power shower, nor does anyone I know and the price of the parts is not worth what I would get back for it.

Racers":2boyl12h said:
Power colonic?

:shock:

Pete
Sounds good. Can I put you down for its maiden voyage? :mrgreen:

Ransoman":2boyl12h said:
Use just the motor and make a Matthias Wandel style dust extractor?
I am planning on making something like that, but I think I'd need a much larger motor. This one is 300w or roughly 0.4hp, think I'd need 1hp + for one of them to be much use.

One option could be a bench top polisher. At 2800rpm it about the right speed. Not sure if it would be powerful enough as the cheapest ones start at around 200w but most seem to be 450w.

How about using it to power a flexible drill drive

Droogs":18jrl3ns said:
How about using it to power a flexible drill drive
Another good suggestion, thanks.

All the pump parts have been stripped off so it's just the motor now. Nicely balanced and quiet. Roughly 10mm stainless shafts.
There's some electronics I'll be removing, they were part of the inbuilt pressure sensors and, depending upon final use, maybe add a soft start.

Sorry can't really think of anything that a 300w motor would work for tbh, however if you didn't need it I would take the expansion tank off your hands as a small midline air tank for my airbrush (it doesn't have one) to reduce pulsing effect as it's currently a direct feed.

This looks like the sort of thing i would keep for years, just in case it came in handy. Then several years later throw away only to discover that once the binmen had been that it was just the thing i needed.

@Andrewf: Snap! Exactly the same sort of thing happens here - quite often actually!

@MonkeyMark: Probably too late now, as you've already stripped it, but what is the broken impeller made of? Is it repairable perhaps? Otherwise, +1 for either a flexible drive driver, or, if you keep the mops small, as a polisher.

AES

rafezetter":1v3h4p34 said:
Sorry can't really think of anything that a 300w motor would work for tbh, however if you didn't need it I would take the expansion tank off your hands as a small midline air tank for my airbrush (it doesn't have one) to reduce pulsing effect as it's currently a direct feed.
I have no idea what the pressure capacity of the tank would be. The only marking on it is 8psi which is for the bladder side.

AES":1v3h4p34 said:
@MonkeyMark: Probably too late now, as you've already stripped it, but what is the broken impeller made of? Is it repairable perhaps? Otherwise, +1 for either a flexible drive driver, or, if you keep the mops small, as a polisher.

AES
The impeller was made of thin plastic, two parts sandwiched together. On further inspection it looks like the pump has been run dry at some point. The friction between impeller and casing has then caused melting. As it cooled it must have glued itself together as it first looked like the motor had seized, but it was just the plastic impeller and casing glued together. This was on both sides of the pump. After some tests it looks like the electronics on it are no good as its supposed to stop when dry and also the pressure switch isn't functioning nor the thermal sensors. So, as a pump, more cost to fix than replace.
As a motor, still runs sweet and quiet.

Ah! Yup, it sounds like that impeller/s is/are not repairable by any stretch of the imagination Monkey Mark. In that case, & as others have already suggested, use the motor for something else. Sounds like a good motor.

Cheers
AES

Latest posts

Back