Suggestion: member categories on profiles (casual/committed/professional/etc)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is a simple maxim when it comes to the internet - advice is generally worth exactly what you paid for it.

I can't remember why I came here originally, but I expect it was because there was something I didn't know how to do. Some members (not necessarily publicly) have been super helpful to me over the years and just reading the threads has taught me quite a lot, or opened my eyes to methods I have not thought about.

In some cases it has made me realise that some things just require too much effort (eg getting kitted up for vacuum veneering).

Giving advice is invariably all about context and in a short internet question that is usually sketchy. In my professional life (lawyer + chartered accountant - commercial stuff in the finance industry) over the years I have frequently been asked by friends and relatives for advice about some legal thing or tax. I learnt very early on NOT to give advice on a freebie basis as half the time people only hear what they want to hear and don't tell you half of the relevant facts. Also professionals in most fields probably have a very narrow field of true expertise. I am qualified, but I can tell you I know SFA about say, divorce law, traffic law or consumer finance - that doesn't stop people asking. I am old enough now (50s) that I can credibly tell them I am way out of date / retired / useless at their problem.

Latest posts

Back