Strictly an amateur...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
Compared to everyone else on here, I am strictly an amateur and so far my work has been limited to making mirrors from both new and reclaimed woods. I have watched in awe for some time at the various projects and wondered at the enigma that is dove tail jointing. I am planning to try my hand at some furniture soon, but I don't really feel part of the forum as I haven't posted any work so far, so I thought I would post a couple of my mirrors that I've made over the last year or so. Through this site and GWW Im learning all the time - I hadn't picked up a saw in anger until about three years ago when I moved to Somerset next to JMT (another forum member) and walked into a workshop for the first time. Now I have my own reasonably well-equipped workshop - albeit in disarray as we've recently moved - and I'm trying to expand my skills and knowledge. My big project which I was starting on this week was to be an oak cot for our first baby, but sadly last week my wife had a miscarriage and everything is on hold. I'm keeping busy by getting back in the workshop and getting into some projects I've been putting off. It will be some time before I can match the work I see on here, but it's a big learning curve and I'll get there one day. I hope to meet some of you at one of the shows one day soon.

Nashb.jpg

Roaki.jpg

ROakb.jpg

ROaka.jpg

Elmfarmhousekitchenlate18th-early19.jpg

ARCH.jpg

Rob,

Very nice work. :D

You have found and used some very interesting timber, any chance of telling us how you came by it? :^o
Are there any walls in your house with out mirrors or do you have lots of friends who have nice one offs from your workshop. 8)

By the way most of us are strictly amateur, nothing to be ashamed of. [-(

Very nice, Rob.
You obviously are well on the road-dovetails should be nothing for you to fear :D
Best regards
Philly :D

Very nice. So what's supposed to be wrong with those then?
Timber, pleasant-looking result after the job is finished, didn't get thrown away. You are a woodworker, mate! Amateur maybe, but who cares?
Well done.
Dovetails, here you come!
Welcome to the forum.

SF

DaveL":hu1a6ka2 said:
You have found and used some very interesting timber, any chance of telling us how you came by it? :^o
Are there any walls in your house with out mirrors or do you have lots of friends who have nice one offs from your workshop. [-(

Mostly from reclamation yards and speaking to farmers etc. Reclaimed timber is quite expensive - as everyone knows - from salvage yards so I try to build up as many contacts as possible.

We have a few mirrors in our cottage but most have gone to friends and family and my wife has done a couple of craft fairs - nothing major though. Just testing the water.

looking good there, keep it up like that and you'll be a "pro "before you know it :wink:

On another note sorry to hear of your wifes' loss and I hope that both of you get through ok

Hs sitting in a warm room next to a leaky wood burning stove, coughing like a trooper :cry: :?

The mirrors are great - really look quite amazing. I like them all. I particularly like the one with the curved top.

Sorry to hear you sad news, that must be very distressing for you both.

Adam

Great work, Rob. I particularly like the second one :)

And, as Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Every artist was once an amateur".

Rob

Don't underestimate yourself, those mirrows look great and remember most of us on the forum are amateurs who learn so much from each other.

Sorry to hear your sad news.

Rob - me too on pretty much all previous comments - the mirrors all look great!

I'm still quite new to woodworking too but have done a few things with dovetails which have worked out quite well. A couple of tips...

* Mark out accurately, with a knife - sure a search on this forum will turn up more detailed instructions/tips

* This may just be me but I didn't get anywhere using a traditional tenon saw (or a dovetail saw). Japanese saws are quite cheap and much easier to use for fine/accurate cuts.

* Practicing dovetails is a good way to become more confident with a hand saw. Don't be tempted by a dovetail jig! I've not got one but the cheaper ones produce rather uninspired results and the expensive ones are time-consuming to set up - someone I know has a Leigh and says it's great but for just one or two drawers he finds it easier/quicker to do them by hand. But once you can do that a jig may then be worthwhile if you need to do a lot of repetitive work.

(Jig owners, feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong!)

Regards, Matthew

:D
Alf":23ljxmvr said:
Rob, splendid stuff, but I worry that you're maybe too reflective a woodworker...? :wink:

Cheers, Alf
:D Nice one, Alf! Thanks for the kind comments and advice everybody.

Nice Work Rob, thats well above beginner standard I reckon. :D
I really like the one with the curved top. Tell us how you made it.
Regards
Lee.
=D> =D> =D>

syntec4":kggcex7w said:
. Tell us how you made it.
Regards
Lee.
=D> =D> =D>

Lee

Sorry for the delay - it popped right out of my head.

I bought a large plank of reclaimed oak that came from an old barn - it took a few visits to find the right piece - and used a compass to draw the arch on which I cut out with the bandsaw. I had to have a plank wide enough to make the arch at the top in one go. I then bsicuit jointed the side piece on and the piece at the bottom so it was effectively still a four piece frame. Light sanding after that to keep the character of the wood and then medium oak wax.

Back