Strange old spade bit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalbot

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone any idea what this was used for? I've never come across one before.
No cutting lips, only spurs, so it can't have gone deep. It's about 15cm long.

pronged bit.JPG

Something for cutting a washer from thin sheet? Just a guess................ The different length of the prongs would ensure the inside was cut before the outside, which would prevent the washer revolving before the cut was finished.

Edit. Duh... didn't spot that the bottom prong is same size as inner ones.- so that's my explanation blown out of the water.:LOL:

Last edited:
Something for cutting a washer from thin sheet? Just a guess................ The different length of the prongs would ensure the inside was cut before the outside, which would prevent the washer revolving before the cut was finished.

Edit. Duh... didn't spot that the bottom prong is same size as inner ones.- so that's my explanation blown out of the water.:LOL:
So it’s a barely sharpened washer cutter.
I like your thinking though. Probably leather washers.

Yes it would ............ I have a set of wad -punches that I can clip an inner piece to, that allows me to do just this. There are, however, some adjustable versions of the vintage bit above, that are designed to fit an old style brace.

Definitely a bit for a brace all brace bits have that tang for the jaws regardless of style it's marked buck who were based in tottenham court road london for about 150 years @toolsntat might shed some light
20230823_170421.jpg

Last edited:
Similar style, but with only two spurs, were called "button bits" and were used to cut buttons in shell/bone/ivory/horn/ebony etc.
Your 4 spur version could cut an annulus/washer in similar materials, but I don't know what for (If the inner spurs were shorter you could cut a button with an in-scribed circle)

Back