Strange old plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Got this plane at a boot sale, looks like new, sharpened it up and cuts like a dream. As the label on the box says, its all metal, even the handles! Does anyone know anything about these planes.

DSC00855.jpg

DSC00860.jpg

DSC00857.jpg

DSC00856.jpg

Looks like a nice solid piece of kit.

I need to get to more boot sales. If I'm lucky I get to pop over the one at Pool Market every now and then.

Interesting! Presumably the handles are aluminium?
I notice the box says 'emergency finish' which suggests a WW2 date when there were restrictions on chrome or nickel plating.

This page at Grace's Guide shows 'Milbro' as a trade mark used by Millard Brothers, so I'd guess that they could have been the makers.

thats both incredibly cool and amazingly ugly all at the same time - brilliant

aluminium polishes really easily - i'd be tempted to polish it to death for a ray gun look

but if it's war time old - best not!

How much??

I can't imagine the handles being aluminium if its WW2 " emergency" finish. I know Milbro more as a maker of air guns and fishing rods.

If it's the same model as was discussed on the Lumberjocks forum here http://lumberjocks.com/topics/29100 the body is alloy not iron. Some of it would be polishable if you really wanted to.

The alloy casting would fit with it coming from the same Millard Brothers who made the cast alloy catapults mentioned.

There was a similar one sold on ebay last month for only £1.20 +P&P - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-unusual-Milbro-No-4-smoothing-plane-aluminium-/261095569881 - the listing included the statement that the plane is actually heavier than a normal no 4.

All those scrap pots and pans had to go somewhere, as they were useless for aircraft.
When the Ministry of Supply said they wanted your jam pan for "plane production" the public only assumed it was for Spitfires!

Gareth

Till the age of 11 I went to a school built in the early 1900's.
During the war they removed all the wrought iron fencing (12' tall) apart from the section separating the boys from the girls! :)

Rod

During the war they removed all the wrought iron fencing (12' tall) apart from the section separating the boys from the girls!

That metal also proved to be equally useless for munitions, the railings removed from the Isle of Wight were dumped in the Solent.

G

Well at a value of £1.20 i think i might keep it and see what it fettles like. (hammer)
Seems to a rare bit of kit, even though its worthless :shock: :D

Hi Folks
Well for the fun of it lets reactivate an old post! :)

I've just bought off ebay £8 a Milbro A4 plane made from some sort of alloy it will arrive in the next few days - I've seen the link to lumberjocks, read the previous posts but has anyone else got something to add?
Any more on the history or how old/when were they made/range of years. What was stamped on the iron so I can see if 'my one' is fully original. Any more snippets ? How are they to use? Has anyone bothered to make them 'sparkle' with huge amounts of polishing?
thanks and regards

okeydokey":35c7y1nf said:
What was stamped on the iron so I can see if 'my one' is fully original.
I have a link in my broswer history from a while back to an ebay listing, here, and the first photo shows the top of the iron clearly enough that you can begin to make out the logo and other stamped lettering, "BRITISH MADE" along the top and "SUPERFINE CAST STEEL" under the logo.

okeydokey":35c7y1nf said:
Has anyone bothered to make them 'sparkle' with huge amounts of polishing?
I've seen one or two polished up, probably in the Lumberjocks link posted on the previous page.

Lots of surfaces available to be polished on these, no reason the whole plane couldn't be made painfully bright if the fancy takes you, although you might need sunglasses to use it on a sunny day 8)

Thanks ED65 that is a newish advert I hadn't seen - its the only one that has shown the logo and lettering. I've now examined the ebay photo of the one I bought and the vague outline of the same wording appears - so it seems mine is original. Funnily enough the vendors are about 30 mins drive away from me, they have a HUGE range of used machinery all types and hand tools.

Back