storage of reclaimed flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought about 50 sqm of reclaimed maple flooring which will eventually be going down in our new kitchen / dining room. It came from a dry but draughty barn and has spent about 6 weeks in my unheated but pretty wind-tight workshop. I noticed last night that there is the beginnings of a fluffy white mould appearing in places :shock:

I had been planning on bringing the flooring indoors and stickering it in the spare room to let it acclimatise. Should I treat it in anyway before bringing it into the house? I am assuming the heat and dryness in the house will kill of any mould but don't want to make things worse or expose the kids to any mould spores.

Thoughts?

I would wipe the blocks down with a weak bleach solution and sticker or stack them so the air can get round them.

Pete

+1 My son is asthmatic and quite a good "canary" for mould spores as I once found out. So though innocuous to most people the spores can be an irritant to some. The weak bleach will remove the risk to health while not altering the colour of the wood to any great degree.

Back