Steve Maskery rip fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcjwebb

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, was wondering if anyone has made the rip fence that i have heard about in Steve Maskery dvd series, if so would you be bale to post any pics of it?

a little bit desperate for something a tad better.

Kind Regards

Marc

Here you go Marc:

P1030956.JPG

The fence on the right is the original Xcalibur fence and the black one is the one I make in the video. It is as rock solid and smooth-riding as the Xcalibur is.

In this picture, it is fitted with the fine-adjuster short rip fence, which is also on one of the DVDs, but I'd have to look up which one and I'm a tad busy right now.

As you can see, it looks like a rip fence...

If I were to make it again I would make the main arm of the fence taller. My Xcalibur is 50mm sq section with 75m cheeks on and I'd probably copy those dimensions, but the construction I would do exactly the same again. It's sound. The best part is that it is all schoolboy engineering - drilling and tapping. No welding is required (although there is nothing to stop you welding it up if that's what you would prefer).

As to the cost, the main clamp cost me nearly £30 about 6 years ago, but the same clamp is available these days for considerably less, although you might have to wait a month or so for delivery from China. IIRC I spent about £20 on steel and a few bob on nuts and bolts. I cannot see how you could make a better fence at home, let alone a better fence at that price.

It is designed to run on square rails. If yours are round, I suggest you have no hesitation in replacing them with 50mm sq box section. It is not expensive and it is much easier to work with than a round rail.

Attachments

• P1030956.JPG
    P1030956.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 347
What was it you used for the main clamp part ? Also is there the adjustment on that line there is on the beis style ones ?

Like all the other home-made fences I've seen, I use a toggle clamp. Get a good-quality one. Mine came from Cromwell.

The fence is adjustable in all three axes, pitch, roll and yaw. I don't think I would have the nerve to call it excellent if it were not, it's pretty important if you want it to work well! :)

That's great. Definitely getting the dvd once I've been paid :) by the way. Which table saw is it you use in that picture ?

Back