Startrite 352 collection and inverter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buying that motor you are going to miss-out on deciphering the 79 pages of instruction manual in 'chinglish' that comes free with each inverter!

good point Fitzroy....but even buying a motor isnt going to be totally straight forward, need to rewire and change the switchgear

John

Fitzroy - that is what I would like to do. I'm thinking to wire a 2 pole connector to each of the starter switches of the 3 phase machines I have. Then I can plug in the connections to the control wiring and use the inverter output via the original switchgear.
I was interestec to read about the heat (or lack of heat) generated by your inverter. Mine is a 3HP and I only have 1HP motors so far, so I shouldn't have a heat build up problem in my large, metal cabinet.

K

I am planning on mounting the inverter in an enclosure with a small fan to generate positive pressure inside with a small filter on the suction side. I am (was) a mining engineer and its a technique used a lot in electric cabinets in coal mines. simple but effective.

Well, its collected. As it happens, a Startrite 352 DOES come apart as I discovered when I turned up to collect it. The vendor had already done it. Not sure I would have done it in quite the same way but heigh ho it works and only 4 bolts with captive nuts (plus the electrics and brake lever). Certainly made it really easy to transport. I am on my own right now so I cant put it together but here are some pics of it (minus base) in the car and the upper blade bearings.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_2357.JPG
    IMG_2357.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 370
Its your machine and you can do what you like with it but many people suggested you take the table off...it really is fragile the area where the trunnion is..if this breaks you are into hundreds for a new one and there's only one bolt holding the table on
Anyway hopefully no damage caused

Ian

That does look like and 'interesting' way to have taken a machine apart. I thought the upper blade guides on the 352 were block type not bearing type, think you may have an upgrade on there.

Ian, I take the point about the table. Its not as bad as it looks because I had the machine supported on the frame in transit, not sitting on the table as you see it there, hence the wood blocks in the photo. It survived fine!
Actually the machine is in really good condition. I have removed the motor and started to strip the electrics.
I have changed my mind (again) and will now be converting the machine to single phase. This will give me the opportunity to rewire everything and put microswitches on the doors instead of the mechanical interlock.
Here are a few more WIP pics
John

Attachments

• IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2368.JPG
    IMG_2368.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 354