startrite 352 3 phase ex collage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
these have come up for sale local to me I'm in the market for something what's the max you'd pay for a good one Screenshot_20220112-221841.pngScreenshot_20220112-221821.png

Personally I’m a skinflint and located in Aberdeen so when I bought mine I was waiting forever locally and picked mine up for £300 on gumtree, but it was missing the fence and mitre gauge and the electrics were in poor condition, which was no issue as I had to rewire to use with an inverter. Now all spruced up If I sold my machine I’d be looking for £500+

EBay sold prices range from £500-£800. If you could get a good condition one for close to the £500 I think you’re on a winner. What’s the max you should pay, only you can decide and I think it’s driven by how urgently you want the machine.

Bit small to be paying much for IMO, and although some/all of the parts are still available and well thought out, for the most part, it's still just a wee machine.
Not seen a comparison compared between modern machines today, should those machines have the sheet metal wheels.
I was going to say 300 to 350 if you need one now.

If you're sticking a VFD on a bandsaw, you might as well go bigger.
If you have the space then a 24" machine would be substantially cheaper than anything slightly smaller in the 20" range, which is the sweet spot for many.
Say if you want to use 1" blades or all types of 3/4" blades comfortably.
A compact 20" far Eastern machine, will have the same footprint as that Startrite, while an Italianish 20" machine will have more space round the wheels and bigger table, the latter is nice if you have the space.
Could get a 24" Italian machine for around 500 if you can wait.
Seen a nice old machine few weeks ago for 350 which I would have suggested to you.

Good luck

Tom

My last offer was 600 he is looking £700 I don't think I'll bother, problem I'm N.Ireland is availability of the machines others I've looked at new include a sip 16 inch

I like the Startrite 352, I have owned one of the newer models for about 8 years and used the older models when I taught. It is a nice solid machine and the school models were generally well looked after. But as a 3 phase machine it is small and I think the sellers market is limited so your offer of £600 is a strong one. As a single phase machine it is a good size and in demand so then that higher price of £700 would have been realistic.

Colin

Last edited:
I can't comment on price but have owned an old single phase 352 for a number of years and it's reliable, solid and bombproof, it handles Tuffsaw 3/4" blades with ease and does everything I ask of it. £700 seems steep to me though

Not seen a comparison compared between modern machines today, should those machines have the sheet metal wheels.
I thought the original 352 had sheet metal wheels as well. I used one at college and it had solid, smooth wheels top and bottom - aren't cast iron wheels generally spoked?

Can't say I have much knowledge about them, seemed the wheels were cast iron
on the newer startrites of that size when I was in the shop.
Couldn't tell you if it was also called a 352 or not.

Had a look on gumtree and seen an old 352 for something like 125 pound in the UK
which is gone now.

If anyone is in Yorkshire, there is this bargain for 200quid!
Joking slightly, but just saying one could get a much better machine if they hold out.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/power-saws/band-saw/1423641179

Back