Starting to refurbish my old Wadkin but.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick.uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys

I need some experienced advise.

I joined the forum recently because i have started to get my rear into action and get some woodworking machinery into the new workshop i have built.

Anyway, I aquired an old Wadkin table saw which i planned to use as my first table saw to get started. It came for free from a school getting rid. With the help of a mate i got it into the workshop at the bottom of the garden, damn was that thing heavy....

It is i believe a rip saw because it can only go up and down, but the engineering and solid build quality is really nice to see. I am hoping i can use other equipment instead of tilting the blade.....

My problem which i would like help on is.

1. Do you think its worth continuing with this bearing in mind its limitations (non tiltable) because i will have to spend some money on it to get it running, i have a 3hp single phase motor to go on in place of the old 3PH unit.

2. It does have a blade which is a TCT blade and quite a monster, the arbour is a whopping 1" 1/4.

3. I have half removed the spindle, whilst checking bearings and cleaning up. I looked at the arbour that takes the blade and consider that this could be modified to take todays size blades. (Being an engineer i have access to the machinery to do this, cylindrical grinders etc), i thought about this because i had a look on ebay and through some catalogues i have around and none of them list blades to fit this saw, most are in the 30mm region. What do you guys think?

4. I found the old colour paint underneath is a blue colour, which i quite like. I found some Wadkin machinery on the net which is also blue. Does anybody know the RAL code for this so if i go forward with it i can get some brushable paint the right colour.

Thanks

Kevin

post some pictures plz i like wadkin tools they are built like a rock :D

bob321

You shouldn't have any problems getting blades to fit - they won't be listed in standard catalogues but there's still plenty of blades available with 1 1/4" bore.
Would have thought that it would a lot easier to have a blade bored to 1 1/4" rather than mess around with the spindle.

Any saw doctors should be able to bore a blade for you and it's also possible to order blades with an 1 1/4" bore.
If you have access to the right equipment then you could easily bore a 30mm blade to 1 1/4"

If you have any problems finding blades just let me know.

Ian

iajon69":1r6vtvow said:
You shouldn't have any problems getting blades to fit - they won't be listed in standard catalogues but there's still plenty of blades available with 1 1/4" bore.
Would have thought that it would a lot easier to have a blade bored to 1 1/4" rather than mess around with the spindle.

Any saw doctors should be able to bore a blade for you and it's also possible to order blades with an 1 1/4" bore.
If you have access to the right equipment then you could easily bore a 30mm blade to 1 1/4"

If you have any problems finding blades just let me know.

Ian

Ian from dragon saws, He gets the thumbs up from me! =D>

Maverick.uk":2c1ij78t said:
ok, good.

So it seems blades will not be a problem, that was my biggest concern.

I'll push ahead and leave it as is.

Thanks

Kevin

I'd say you have a world of blades to choose from and project worth doing. Also it will be saleable if you feel you can't do without a tilting arbor. You could make a 'tilting sled' for mitred rips.
I love Wadkin too!
Good luck.
:D

bob321":3edihi7y said:
post some pictures plz i like wadkin tools they are built like a rock :D

bob321

Ok, here are some piccy's i took tonight. Sorry about the blurred close up did not check it before i came back.

01010042.jpg

This is from the side of the machine, its all cast iron construction. You can see the table sitting against the wall. If you look at the left hand side of the column you can also see i have cleaned up that side.

01010043.jpg

This is the back of the machine, the bolts you see at the bottom take the motor bracket which at the moment has been removed. If you look in the spindle area and under the column you can see the old blue paint (looks blackish in the picture) which is under the green thats been overpainted. This has got to come of because it is flaking anyway.

And lastly the column, all i can say is WOW!

01010046.jpg

I have had a good look over the machine tonight but cannot find a model number anywhere, anybody have any idea?

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I have a Wadkin, a small one compared to your beast, here is the plate on it:
Dscn3099s.jpg

If you look here you can see my motor change when I got it. Does not seem like its been in the shop 4 years, magic bit of kit that will out last me. 8)

DaveL":16xiv7c4 said:
Hi Kevin,
you can see my motor change when I got it. Does not seem like its been in the shop 4 years, magic bit of kit that will out last me. 8)

Yeah, i had seen that already Dave.

Hey, your not far from me! In fact I actually work in your neck of the woods....

Cheers

Kevin

Back