Starting out - recommendations needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prae5

Reaction score
Hi

I've finally moved to a house where I have enough room to setup a small workshop and get some proper tools and was hoping to get some recommendations on what to buy.

In the short term I plan on:

- Building cabinets for our garage and workshop
- Finishing the partially completed garage attic conversion to an office space
- Building desk and workbench area in the office
- Building workbench and storage int he workshop
- Building a butchers block for the kitchen

In the past i've managed to make do tool wise, but now i've got the space I'm happy to invest a little cash.

Given those kind of tasks what would your top 3 recommendations be?

I had planned on buying a decent table saw and router initially, but after doing some research, I'm thinking that I may get more use of a track saw in the short term rather than a table saw?

Only real decent tools I have currently are a makita LS1040 mitre saw, couple of cordless drills and impact drivers from dewalt and makita.

If you had to start out from scratch again, what would you chose? Budget wise, I guess I have about £800-1000 at the moment.

thanks!

tracksaw, router and probably a random orbital sander would be my choice.

with the tracksaw, I would look at some parf dogs and an MFT style top, based on youtube videos that I have seen.

A decent 1/2" router and router plate- you can then use it handheld, or build a table to suit. To be honest, looking back I would probably buy a couple of used elu models rather than a single brand new router- they are handy things and it is useful to have one permanently table mounted.

A random orbital sander and some abranet abrasive for finishing off items. other options available, but that is what I use.

A Festool mft3 would be nice coupled with a TS 55. :mrgreen:
Oh and a Kreg K4 Pocket Hole Jig.
Just those few bits would blow your budget but should be so worth it.

The Kreg K4 pocket hole kit was on the list already - i think i found a kit for about £100.

I've been seriously considering a Festool TS55 - very nearly ready to pull the trigger on that, I've been considering this kit at £444 - can't post links too new to forum - powertool-supplies. co. uk/festool-circular-saw-240v-ts-55-rebq-plus-fs-gb-2-rail-deal-with-clamps.html

I'm undecided on the mft3 at the moment - i thinking i would rather build something myself and then get a mft style top for it.....

prae5":35yv2kz3 said:
The Kreg K4 pocket hole kit was on the list already - i think i found a kit for about £100.

I've been seriously considering a Festool TS55 - very nearly ready to pull the trigger on that, I've been considering this kit at £444 - can't post links too new to forum - powertool-supplies. co. uk/festool-circular-saw-240v-ts-55-rebq-plus-fs-gb-2-rail-deal-with-clamps.html

I'm undecided on the mft3 at the moment - i thinking i would rather build something myself and then get a mft style top for it.....

The TS55 is a cracking saw, i have one and it is the best investment i have made - tool wise. Powertool supplies are good too, if you order now you will have the kit thursday. :D

If you stick around and be part of the forum, there are a couple of members who sell a cnc machined mft style top ;)

One of the main things that I like the look of with the Festool mft3 table is the ability to flip the track up/down.
Coupled with the adjustable stop it gives the ability to do exact crosscuts which is really useful for batch production, making cabinet carcasses etc..
Is there a way to do this with a homemade table?

I don't have a Festool mfts or Track saw but have been drooling over buying them for a while. :mrgreen:

Roughcut":1mgnlor4 said:
One of the main things that I like the look of with the Festool mft3 table is the ability to flip the track up/down.
Coupled with the adjustable stop it gives the ability to do exact crosscuts which is really useful for batch production, making cabinet carcasses etc..
Is there a way to do this with a homemade table?

I don't have a Festool mfts or Track saw but have been drooling over buying them for a while. :mrgreen:
There probably is a way to do it depending on how you make the table. Or another way would be to have 2 fixed points front/ rear to drop a rail onto ;)

Hi, my name is Graham, and I'm a workshopoholic.

For the jobs you mention a decent table saw, teamed up with what you already have will do. I don't really see any work for a router in the jobs you mention, it all sounds pretty utilitarian.

How big is your workshop? If it's not huge you may be better concentrating on quality hand tools. If you have lots of cash spare then buy a quality 1/2" router as well.

The thing is, a workshop never stops evolving. You get new kit, you move stuff around, you start to favour one method over another and stop using a particular machine or set of tools as often. I have a big Bosche chop saw which takes up a complete wall and gets used once in a blue moon. It's going, or it's stand and extensions are. So to say "what should I get?" will be very much governed by what you intend to do after the above mentioned projects.

If I were starting again, a good table saw would be #1 on the list. Maybe a band saw if I was flush (very versatile)........Now I sit and think about it, I use my thicknesser quite a bit for stock prep. A router maybe 4th or 5th on the list. Quality hand tools probably before the router. A router table would be down the list, it's useful, but you can mount a board on the bottom of your router, invert it (safely), and make do.

EDIT: A tracksaw is invaluable. It won't replace a table saw but is a huge leap forward on the basic hand held circular saw. I have a Scheppach superb value.

Let us sad workshopoholics know what you go for.

prae5":2q4vw1sn said:
I had planned on buying a decent table saw and router initially, but after doing some research, I'm thinking that I may get more use of a track saw in the short term rather than a table saw?
If you go for the TS55, I'd giving some serious consideration to the parallel guide set, both the main set and the narrow cut extensions. Using these I've almost eliminated the need to use my table saw. Seriously good bit of kit to go with the TS55.

Cheers
Stu

The main area i plan to use for the workshop is a reasonable size - its about 5m x 5m. I've also got a big double garage area that about 7m x 6m that I can work in when needed too.

I think the TS55 kit is going to be the winner for the first big purchase - will maybe see if i can get a deal with the parallel guide set too.

I really do like the look of the mft3 table - just not sure i can stretch to that at the moment.....

Back