stanley or record planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirjj

Established Member
Reaction score
They both seem simerly priced so wich one should i go with? Im looking at a jack plane at the moment. Also will they be ready to use straight out of the box? Its not that im incapable of sharpening its just that i dont want to be put off of using planes becouse i mess it up.

Thank you.

Hi,

Well the only plane that will work straight out of the box is a Holtey http://www.holteyplanes.com/ but that will cost you thousands of pounds.

Any plane will need sharpening at some point so its something you need to learn, so I would get a cheap old Stanley or Record from Ebay and clean it up and have a go at shaprening the blade.

And you will end up with a better plane than you can buy today, apart from a Holtey!

Pop over to the hand tools section there are loads of plane tuning/sharpining threads.

Pete

Racers":7sz8mdkb said:
... I would get a cheap old Stanley or Record from Ebay and clean it up and have a go at shaprening the blade.

Yeah - strongly recommend NOT buying a Stanley/Record from current production. Either go high (QS and up) or old.

BugBear

any advice on telling if a plane is a nice old ne or just a "rusty" rubbish one

edit: can i post an ebay buy it now link on here without the risk of someone buying it or is there someone i can pm to ask there advice?

sirjj":1lbvyip9 said:
any advice on telling if a plane is a nice old ne or just a "rusty" rubbish one

A detailed version is large. My "quick" recommendation, which I've posted here before, is to look for Record planes where the top corners of the blades are sharp (not rounded).

Assuming all parts are present and in good condition - buy it.

BugBear

bugbear":1s4fncyq said:
My "quick" recommendation, which I've posted here before, is to look for Record planes where the top corners of the blades are sharp (not rounded).

This is good advice, which I have followed resulting in a lovely no. 5 and a no. 4, both under £30.

Here is a link to dating Record planes which includes pictures of the blades as BB describes, about half way down.

http://www.recordhandplanes.com/dating.html

All I know is that the better Stanley planes were the earlier ones which are made in the USA

well i got the plane in the link above, just want to know was it a good decision or bad or alright my thinking no matter what it cant be worse than a modern one and its good to go without sharpening (i have a crapy wood plane to practice on.)

sirjj":usu4dtry said:
well i got the plane in the link above, just want to know was it a good decision or bad or alright my thinking no matter what it cant be worse than a modern one and its good to go without sharpening (i have a crapy wood plane to practice on.)
Looked OK to me except that it had been well worked over and cleaned up. This could be good news, or it could be bad, in that it has been prepared for sale and you don't know how skilled the seller was. Frinstance if he was over keen on "flattening" he could have spoiled the sole, and the face of the blade.
I prefer to buy things with original rust and which look untouched by human hand!

Latest posts

Back