Stanley hand plane restoration/issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigus

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of this was in another thread but I thought it would be better to start a new one.

Trying to figure out hand planes for beginners is very frustrating. Not having much experience with planes makes all the stuff you read a bit bewildering. I have considered getting the Credit Card out and buying a nice lie nielsen a couple of times, but resisting at the moment.

I'm trying to set up my old plane - Stanley No.4 from my dad. I've spent a long time sharpening the iron using the same method I use for the my chisels which works well, but I couldn't get the iron hugely sharp.

I've tried it on a few bits of timber now, and it is snagging and jumping quite a lot, I did get it working nicely for a few strokes and got a nice smooth edge on a short board, but that didn't last and it's back to jumping and catching. Do you think I need a new iron? If so, any recommendations? I've seen the Ray Iles ones but they are thicker, does that mean I need a new cap iron too?

Or is it more likely to be that it needs further fettling? The iron isn't the flattest, and is a bit bent at the back.

Thanks for the help, I feel it's holding me back somewhat at the moment as I need to square up all the timber I've got.

Hi have a look on you tube for paul sellers he has some easy to follow tips for sharpening and plane set up .am at work now but will try to find some more info tomorrow if your still having problems
best wishes David

Back