Stanley guide instructions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarviser

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a .pdf or scan of the instructions for the stanley guide pictured? It's for an enthusiast in Australia who wrote to me. As you can see I borrowed the pic from eBay.
stanley%20hone%20guide.jpg

Jarviser":3h2tywsi said:
Does anyone have a .pdf or scan of the instructions for the stanley guide pictured? It's for an enthusiast in Australia who wrote to me. As you can see I borrowed the pic from eBay.
stanley%20hone%20guide.jpg

Aah - the world's least versatile honing guide. Still, it's actually rather good at the one thing it does!

BugBear

True! but I took its most redeeming feature and applied it to this one...
veritasmodification.jpg

The 8mm "wheel" is turned with a slight curve. It has to be used on its highest setting to get sufficient sideways movement but it allows the edge to take control rather than the guide; or to apply some camber if you will. The nearest I could get to the old Record ball bearing guide.

Very good, Peter. Reminiscient of the Millers Falls honing guide I have. Even though the raised portion is wider than on yours, it easily cambers a blade.

mf_honing_guide_0003.jpg

Take care, Mike

MooreToolsPlease":1c9gkw23 said:
whats the function of the very top knurled nut?
Never seen a guide quite like that.
Hi Matt,

The larger knob is what tightens the blade in place and the upper most knob is what raises or lowers the whole "carriage" in order to alter the bevel angle.

The link is to the instructions. It is a wide graphic, though not a large one filesize-wise. I thought a linky would be best...

http://wenzloffandsons.com/temp/mf_honing_guide/mf_honing_guide_0002.jpg
It works very well.

Take care, Mike

Jarviser":mfdg713a said:
The nearest I could get to the old Record ball bearing guide.

The Record does (indeed) allow cambering, but I've never seen a used one where the ball bearing isn't badly faceted.

The best cambering jig IMHO is the old Marples #7418; they crop up at car boots occasionally.

http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=4279

It has very weak clamping, so you need a certain degree of attention during use.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back