stanley bailey no 4 help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, looking for some help as i have been a bit of an silly person

I'm trying to restore an old stanley no4 i bought at an antique shop for a fiver. All parts are present and correct and (now) de-rusted and shiny. It's an old one i think, with wooden handles, no production number and standard steel blade cap, not polished like the newer ones.

Now i thought the threaded bolt on the back of the frog where the blade adjustment knob goes would come out, and in my foolishness i've crushed some of the threads which now won't let the adjustment thumbscrew move freely.

I wanted to just re-thread the bolt but its a thread size i'm unaware of, certainly not metric. So i was hoping some hand tool genius would pop up and help me out with a size and then i can order one in! alternatively i could file away the mess and not use those few threads.

Many thanks for your help everyone

Joe

You can restore the threads somewhat using a fine triangular file. The sharp edge of the threading can be missing in places and as long as there are no burrs the wheel should spin fairly freely without an awkward stiff zone that makes fine adjustment a pain.

Once you've got it nearly there with a file if you have any abrasive paste you can dab a little on the threaded rod and run the wheel in and out repeatedly, that'll help smooth things out further. If you don't have any and would like to generate some you can abrade a sharpening stone, collect the waste and add in a little petroleum jelly or liquid paraffin if needed.

NazNomad- could well be! my guess was 5/16ths.

Thanks guys, ill give the tiny files and paste a go!

much appreciated
Joe

Go find another broken plane that you can take the thread out of.
If its a brass thumb wheel, you will damage it.
Good luck

The adjuster thread is a left hand thread so you probably tightened it which isn't a problem.
I would use a triangular (3 square) needle file to clean up the threads, and next time use some aluminium to protect the threads.

Pete

Back