Stained ash Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnErY

Established Member
Reaction score
ash Bowl Stained with mylands Colourings First time out using this product Finished in Sanding sealer over the stain didn't go harsh because I wanted to try to bring out the grain then a few coats of wax paste ,wacked the lathe up to full speed then buffed it shape is designed to put a lid on but not decided on the timber open to suggestions
Regards
Bill

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 843
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 843
  • DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 843
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 843
You have to give it a go to see where it's going to go Bill, I find that applying the first colour is the hardest unless you have a real plan in mind.

I like the pale colours on this and it's something I intend to try soon once I get something I think it will suit. I have a book that has a picture of a Sweet Chestnut Burr Hollow form that uses a thin colouring, it looks fantastic.

One thing I am sure you will have noticed though, especially with Ash, the colour picks up every single sanding scratch left in the piece!

Good to see you taking a crack at it! :)

Think the lid, whatever form (possibly tending to a finial as in Ottoman Empire Lidded Urns) probably should be plain (smooth, no texture) to contrast with the heavy figuring of the base.
Two basic choices I see, complimentary Ash base colour or a Contrast.

Hi Bill, I love the different colours, I think it's beautiful and I like the circles on the base too. Glad you are turning again after the operation on your hand.

Peggy

For the lid I would echo Chas and go for as plain as possible. Any figured wood will clash badly with the base IMHO. Possibly a grainless wood sanded well down and stained a complimentary colour or black and high polish? Also agree you need to have it tapered with a finial to continue the line of the bowl

pete

Bodrighy":3hm7dhxu said:
For the lid I would echo Chas and go for as plain as possible. Any figured wood will clash badly with the base IMHO. Possibly a grainless wood sanded well down and stained a complimentary colour or black and high polish? Also agree you need to have it tapered with a finial to continue the line of the bowl

pete
Thanks both Pete and Chas was thinking On the line of a African blackwood finial with a sycamore lid also ebonized Black to bring out the contrast of the colouring?
Regards
Bill

Back