SS GIFT VIEWING 2013

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condeesteso":177xruzs said:
Seen all these wonderful gifts, but not seen many in action yet:

Works a real treat - I actually made an accidental discovery. I like those drywall screws for basic carcase etc work (a sub-shelf for a few planes here) but my No2 bit never fitted nicely and I assumed it was a bad bit (oops, sorry :lol: ). The one I had picked from the Festool set fitted lovely and when I checked on it, it's the Phillips No2. Fits like a glove.
I like this pair of drivers so much I have made a little rackspace for them:

Big thanks again to Santa.

edit p.s. - failed to mention the Riley marking gauge in post above. It is wonderful of course, but I just took it for granted seeing as I have one :wink:

I'm really glad you like the drivers, it's good to see them in use.
I'm only learning on the metalwork lathe, and I don't do enough wood turning to call myself competent, so I'm pleased they turned out well.

Have a good New Year.

Hello all.
Just back from the wilderness, and first thing I did was look at this thread, and :shock: :shock: WOW :shock: :shock: there are some nice gifts this year (as usual).

I must have been a very good boy this year. Santa brought me a very finely crafted Moxon vice.

I had been to Douglas' workshop recently and admired his vice (and bench, and plane collection, and his furniture in progress, and pretty much everything else!), and I know how much work he puts into making these vices. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but points to note are the perfectly formed threads, the perfect fitting dovetails, the turned ash and rosewood handles, the full leather facing, and the groove to hold round stock (a feature I will find most useful).

So a big Thank you to my (not so) Secret Santa, Douglas (Condeesteso).
The execution is flawless, and I am truly blown away by your generosity.

And finally, another thank you to Waka for organising us once again.

Happy New Year everyone.

Adam.

Waka":29asw9ai said:
I'm only learning on the metalwork lathe, and I don't do enough wood turning to call myself competent, so I'm pleased they turned out well.

Have a good New Year.

Very modest Waka - the metal and wood turning here is top-notch. What are the woods by the way?

Morning Adam! - pleased you like it of course. I thought it may be useful given the type of work you do and the scale etc.
Didn't see any point remaining anonymous as you would have known where it came from I expect, hence the swing-tag.
(Did you like my ironic 'pity the poor sod who gets Adam for his SS recipient' line on your marking gauge thread? :lol: )

I mentioned they are a bit tight at first - it will free up a little with use, and I hope it will get plenty of that!

best wishes for 2014

condeesteso":30h9sdt0 said:
Waka":30h9sdt0 said:

Have a good New Year.

Very modest Waka - the metal and wood turning here is top-notch. What are the woods by the way?

I'm not actually sure :oops: :oops:, I bought one of those turning packs from Axminster in Nuneaton which has a selection of hardwoods, I'll check the next time I'm in there.

By the way beautiful vice =D> =D> =D>

phil.p":3etlpu6y said:
:lol: Rxh - the postmark gave it away, then? First, I apologise for the gouges not being honed - I've just moved house, and my slipstones are hiding in a box somewhere. The wood was salvaged from some unwanted shelving and I've no idea what it is. Nice, though. The Marples is "Hibernia" afaik. Nice clear ex WD mark as you say. Hope you find uses for them. :ho2 Have a good one!

Phil,
I’ve busy with family duties but today I escaped to my shed, sharpened the SS chisels and gouges and gave them a try. As I expected, they are excellent and they sliced into some hard beech with ease :D

I found it interesting to compare the bevel edged chisel with a modern one. It is bevelled to much narrower edges and thus is a lot better for getting into tight corners.

All these tools are going to get good use in lutherie, carving and cabinet work. Many thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1564C.jpg
    IMG_1564C.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMG_1568C.jpg
    IMG_1568C.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMG_1578C.jpg
    IMG_1578C.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,187
Firstly my apologies. I got home last night to find the post man hagenerosityt my ss gift with my neighbour as requested. But I eventually got to the sorting office today, and by the time I got back to the car I was furiously attacking the parcel with my key. After I got through the layers of packaging I was delighted to find this beautiful (but hard to photograph) ebony marking gauge.

and it looks great next to my newly acuired newt scratch stock

Once again I am gobsmacked by someone that I have never met extreme generosity. I am really pleased with this beautiful tool and will enjoy it fpr years to come. Well done everyone!

Adidat

condeesteso":3vpqvi3y said:
And Toby's router plane, good grief - who done that :?: =D> .

That would be RXH, superlative work.

[https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forum...ear I might be able to contribute too I hope.

I missed that thread originally, outstanding work on the router plane. I notice the maker has aligned screw-slots on this one, but also Pete Ms solution to leave proud and remove slot head later would be nice too. The attention to detail adds to the overall impression. Very well done!
Like the marking gauge above too - similar to David Barron's one. Something I find really good in use is the blade/cutter right at the end so it is easily visible. Adam's (Aces) are great for that too. My bet is that's the one you will reach for first. (If you get fussy on small dovetails and start/stop the lines, it's a winner.)

Yes, I made the router plane – thanks for the comments :) :oops: It is slightly different from the first one as it has a modified ½” Veritas cutter. The holes in the base plate were already drilled and countersunk by the time that the discussion on lining up of screw slots started. However, in future I intend to try that idea of smaller countersinks and filing screw heads off.

I agree: excellent work on that ebony marking gauge and the other presents shown here.

Attachments

• IMG_1526C.jpg
    IMG_1526C.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • IMG_1527C.jpg
    IMG_1527C.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 1,091
We're really doing good with posting the SS gifts, I'm must waiting on 3 more SS to post their gifts.

All in all I think its been another success, some wonderful craftsmanship displayed and fun had by all I'm sure.

All those that who viewed but didn't participate last year, have a go this year.

Until we start organising again, I wish you all a Happy and fruitful year.

Just having another look through all the gifts. I wouldn't like to appear to be missing any out at all - but special mention also for Pete's knife kit (really interesting gift and we all like things with sharp edges); Morfa's excellent little shoulder plane; and Escudo's really lovely rebate plane.
Reminds me there are quite a few really talented toolmakers around here - they stay quiet for 11 months then come out for SS.
As Waka says, join in next time - books, old planes, restored gouges, fine vintage spokeshaves all very good indeed... you don't have to be flash :lol: :lol:

sorry for not posting yet, not really been on the forum and my laptop has decided that it will neither accept my SD card nor phone to transfer a photo. I will try to work out way to do so tomorrow

hazel":7mk1g6bg said:
sorry for not posting yet, not really been on the forum and my laptop has decided that it will neither accept my SD card nor phone to transfer a photo. I will try to work out way to do so tomorrow

If you want to email pics and some text to me off your iPhone, I would be happy to post on your behalf

TT

I have no idea how to email from my phone to be honest lol. Got a blackberry recently and not figured out how to use it yet. If it comes to it will send a photo from my phone to facebook and then copy it from facebook into photoshop to save and upload it. just seems like there has got to be an easier way, need to fix the sd reader anyway so will look at it in the morning and see if can fix it. If not will do the facebook plan

Now hang on just a minute... lurking behind RXH's splendid routers there seems to be an even more magnificent plane!

Was there a thread about it that I missed?

If not, can we see some more please!

Xmas 2012 thread
ss-gift-viewing-t66725.html

Think 2011 was deleted.

RXH,

Stunning work have you changed the infill wood or stained the Padauk ?

Edit: From the wood database

African Padauk
Color/Appearance: Heartwood color can vary, ranging from a pale pinkish orange to a deep brownish red. Most pieces tend to start reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening substantially over time to a reddish/purplish brown to nearly black. See the article Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods for more information.

Blimey if that's just 6 months this time next year it will be ebony coloured.

Latest posts

Back