Squirrels.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put up a bird feeder or 3 a few years ago and the birds loved them but so did the squirrels (grey) they left such a mess that it attracted Rats and Mice which then attracted Cats from all around after the mice, who damaged the fence panels (cats that is). I wish I never put up the bird feeder.
But because I'm stupid I made a bird box for the bluetits and I'm now considering refitting the feeder to help them along as I've got a nesting pair within 48 hours who moved in. I'm also going to get my old air rifle down from the loft just incase the squirrels return, (not joking) and before the furious fluffy brigade get started, it's legal to shoot grey squirrels in the UK so I'm bloody well going too.

As mentioned elsewhere, it is actually on offence to release them if they're caught alive. However they must be destroyed humanely. Some years ago. a man caught one in a cage trap and tried to kill it by drowning in a tub of water. Someone must reported him - nosey neighbour? - and he was prosecuted by the RSPA. The fine was modest but with costs awarded against him the bill came to over £1000, a very expensive squirrel!
The approved method of execution used by most pest controllers is to shoot through the bars of the cage with an airgun, hard to miss at point blank range.

It's been illegal to release them for decades, the date stated in the article (2019) is referring to the act which replaced/supplemented the exisitng one. I was a groundsman 17 years ago and we had to capture and kill the blighters due to the destruction they were causing, it's no joke how bad they are and frankly I'd like to see more efforts into controlling their population. With all due credit to the article the chaos they cause to the woodland and urban environments is unbelievable. I see no problem with eating them, current law states they must be killed "humanely" but there is also no legal requirement to check the traps - so you can just starve them to death, much better than drowning or smacking them with a shovel(!)
I'm sorry but this is just drivel.

There is absolutely a requirment to check the traps at least once every 24 hours! If you are/were not you were breaking the law.

@GeoffW I feel there's been a miscommunication here. I'd never condone starving something to death, usually including an exclaimation mark in brackets indicates sarcasm. I was simply stating that the law allows you to make a long drawn out death perfectly fine whereas something much simpler and faster, the shovel, is considered inhumane, any traps should of course be checked regularly because you wont always catch the intended animal. Sorry for any confusion caused.
No. You are 100% wrong. Any set trap must be checked once every 24 hours.

As mentioned elsewhere, it is actually on offence to release them if they're caught alive. However they must be destroyed humanely. Some years ago. a man caught one in a cage trap and tried to kill it by drowning in a tub of water. Someone must reported him - nosey neighbour? - and he was prosecuted by the RSPA. The fine was modest but with costs awarded against him the bill came to over £1000, a very expensive squirrel!
The approved method of execution used by most pest controllers is to shoot through the bars of the cage with an airgun, hard to miss at point blank range.
Cranial despatch is an approved method. i.e. a single blow to the head with a priest.

. I'm also going to get my old air rifle down from the loft just incase the squirrels return, (not joking) and before the furious fluffy brigade get started, it's legal to shoot grey squirrels in the UK so I'm bloody well going too.
Good lad, just make sure they are within your property line

Good lad, just make sure they are within your property line
Rest assured Gents, I have a 98 out of 100 score with a .22 live rounds 25m indoor target shooting I also have been trained and passed in firearms handling and safety.
I still have my old firearms certificate somewhere.
Don't want to sound like a smart buttocks but Recky33 and mwinfrance raised valid points which are often overlooked when a less experienced person is fixated with a live target in their sights.
I will take every care and ensure a swift and stress free end to the pesky critters, no animal should suffer no matter how much they are disliked for their destructive behaviour.

I'm 65 in July and aware that shooting is a perishable skill so there will be extra care taken and maybe some slight sight adjusting before hand.

Being "paint balled" anywhere on their body ( away from head or paws ) would keep them away, and is far less dangerous in the case of a miss, and less likely to have the risk of an injured animal.

Plus "Plod" might be less "antsy" about discharge of a paintball gun in a residential area as opposed to an airgun or a 22 ( short munitions "garden gun" type or long munition rifle )..I don't know the current state of UK legislation.

Squirrels can also be dissuaded with "chillied" bait, birds don't mind chillis ( one L or two ), they go straight through, birds lack the capsicum receptors, so feel no heat.But mammals and molluscs and ( AFAIK ) amphibians do get the heat.Peanuts in rolled anything sticky ( honey ) and then in chili powder or peanut butter with added chili will give them a shock and encourage them to forage elsewhere.

Last edited:
This is, of course, true - but after a couple of weeks you will find that you have effectively trained the offending cat & the Lion Dung can be removed and buried.

Being "paint balled" anywhere on their body ( away from head or paws ) would keep them away, and is far less dangerous in the case of a miss, and less likely to have the risk of an injured animal.

Plus "Plod" might be less "antsy" about discharge of a paintball gun in a residential area as opposed to an airgun or a 22 ( short munitions "garden gun" type or long munition rifle )..I don't know the current state of UK legislation.

Squirrels can also be dissuaded with "chillied" bait, birds don't mind chillis ( one L or two ), they go straight through, birds lack the capsicum receptors, so feel no heat.But mammals and molluscs and ( AFAIK ) amphibians do get the heat.Peanuts in rolled anything sticky ( honey ) and then in chili powder or peanut butter with added chili will give them a shock and encourage them to forage elsewhere.
Thanks for your tips, the chillies is a good idea as that would possibly have a positive affect on the rodents too.

I don't own a paint ball gun, nor will I be buying one.

I've checked UK legislation regarding vermin control.

Regarding a wounded animal, a headshot will render that a null point.

My air rifle is pneumatic and makes less noise than a fart.

Matter closed.

I've a late adopter when it comes to cavity insulation. Houses that weren't built with the vapour barriers etc are always going to face a risk when you eliminate ventilation.
Still, no one can afford to do without it these days and I've finally pulled the trigger and booked the installation for next month.
Meanwhile, I'm pulling the soffits off so that I can put cavity socks in the tops of my two uncapped walls before they pump the beads in to overflowing...

How is this relevant ?
Well, I was sure we had squirrels nesting in the eaves 10 years back. It never occurred to me that they might chew on the rafters ! Little blighters :)
20230422_104306.jpg

No real harm done but I won't let them in again !

More important is that no pellets / rounds etc escape your property.
Situated our bird table in a safe place and in direct line from bedroom window. Squirrels don't notice movement and air rifle head shots from about 20ft are always instantly fatal.

Due to cultural differences I guess, we don't have a squirrel problem in my area. We have a rodent problem, we have a mole problem and we have a bear problem. I would gladly change places. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not being ironic. Just thinking how the differences in location affect us in a different manner.

Back