square dowels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
as soon as i get my workshop finished i'll be making an oak kitchen.
I want to use face frames fitted on with those nice square dowels.
Trouble is i dont know how to do it?

sounds silly i know but i cant imagine you drill a square hole LOL

any suggestions ?

Mike

1/4" chisel in a bench mortiser? Make dowels (need a dowel plate) and leave top section square. Cheat and surface glue some little square buttons to the door stiles :lol:

One option is to just take the square hole about 3mm deep then drill the rest for a round dowel, you then just make small squar "caps" to fit in the hole once the round one has been driven home. In fact with modern glues you can probably dispence with the round dowel and just have the square one for decoration. A bit of ebony with a slightly domed top would look good with oak.

Jason

I do have a morticer and a planer but that only sorts the hole in the face frame ?
:shock:
what about the carcase that i will be attatching it too?
what do i do there.
BTW i dont know how to make dowels with a plate? do you force wood through a hole then? LOL sorry i'm so ignorant.
I've made a couple of kitchens before but just bog standard stuff!

Thanks all
Mike

If you want to do it the easy way, buscuit your frames on to the carcases and just do false square dowels, still use your morticer but just make the holes about 10mm deep, bang in short square pegs once you have the frames glued on, and sand them down either level or slight protusion.

Thanks senior I think i'll probably do that!

a second thought has anyone used those miller dowels? they llok rather nice (although not square) :lol:

Back