Sprayed Ash bowl!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Made this the other day and just got round to spraying the top. Ash,9" diam, 3" high. It thanked me for its creation today by releasing itself from the lathe at 500rpm and straight onto the bridge of `by dose` ouch! lesson learnt!!

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

Cheers
(sore nose) Steve

Very nice indeed, Steve. I like the clean, crisp lines of the piece.
Shame about the nose, but sometimes we have to suffer for our art :)
I like the diagonal lines on top. Did you do that by masking them off?

Ian

Steve

Nice bowl and I like the black face

Now Who's a naughty boy , No Face shield #-o , Tut Tut Tut , Safety in the workshop should be a priority

We got a lecture from Terry Scott regarding this , he told of the time he nearly lost an eye and said he would never turn without a face shield again, Wise man ,
I always use my Trend airshield without fail

Thanks Ian yes it was masked using 3mm tape .

Cheers Allen . I tend to just use goggles and paper mask for turning then put my Powercap on for finishing/sanding think I'll use the full face one a the time now. A couple of inches lower I'd be pricing up dentures now ;-( just glad I had me safety glasses on. It always happens to someone else doesn't it!!
Steve

gasmansteve":3196bazp said:
Thanks Ian yes it was masked using 3mm tape .

Cheers Allen . I tend to just use goggles and paper mask for turning then put my Powercap on
Steve

surely you mean powerCAPE (look left :) ) da da da daaah! (superhero music)

:lol: :lol:
I can laugh now but it bloody hurt at the time ! Painful way to learn a lesson :roll:
Steve

it doesn't look damaged.......... :eek:)

feel for you, but will admit to the occasional dally without all the gear (yes I know this is even worse than not having the gear.....). Had a bizarre moment last week when an olive wood bowl I decided to remount and just shave with a scrapper........caught and left the chuck - I'm watching it in the air do a few spirals and pass left of my ear..... isn't olive wood tough btw :)

What's the process for doing this - do you mask the lines, spray the lot, then use a scraper on the inside of the bowl to remove the black again?

wabbitpoo":11z1ez5i said:
What's the process for doing this - do you mask the lines, spray the lot, then use a scraper on the inside of the bowl to remove the black again?

Nearly there :) Mask the lines ,spray colour of choice then hollow the bowl out and finally groove outside the hollowed part then lacquer!
Steve

Do you mask off the bottom when spraying the top? I found the spray can find its way around the base, especially at the very rim.

wabbitpoo":1xoposey said:
Do you mask off the bottom when spraying the top? I found the spray can find its way around the base, especially at the very rim.
Hi WP
No found I didn`t need to as I used airbrush paints with an Iwata airbrush, much easier to control than from a can!
Steve

I really like the design Steve. Nice crisp lines and the contrast works well.

Hope your nose has recovered. :)

Like the bowl and also like the experimentation.

I find it great to see all the different things going on so you can nick a bit of that idea and put it with something else etc

Keep them coming .... but only when you are wearing the gear. Aren't we all so wise after the event.

The old saying is Familiarity breeds contempt .... Sermon short and sweet.

Back