Spooky

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I built two small clocks using identical movement inserts. I set the times on them and they’ve stood side by side for a several days. The second sweep hands are now in perfect unison and they definitely weren’t originally. They’ve stayed like this for three days. :shock:

MusicMan":3nwatsin said:
It's a well-known phenomenon with metronomes. See metronome synchronisation on youtube.

But clocks don't cause harmonic resonance the way metronomes or soldiers footfalls on a bridge can. It's the resonance that makes the metronomes sync, and why soldiers are told to march "break step" when crossing certain bridges.

rafezetter":39bt911h said:
MusicMan":39bt911h said:
It's a well-known phenomenon with metronomes. See metronome synchronisation on youtube.

But clocks don't cause harmonic resonance the way metronomes or soldiers footfalls on a bridge can. It's the resonance that makes the metronomes sync, and why soldiers are told to march "break step" when crossing certain bridges.

I'm well familiar with the resonance phenomenon. I don't know why you say that clocks don't cause resonance the way that metronomes do? The mechanism for a clockwork clock is identical to that for a clockwork metronome. The sound is not as loud so I would expect them to take longer to synchronise, but it must be the same effect.

Even if the clocks are quartz crystal clocks it could still be resonance, as the quartz crystals are sensitive to pressure waves (it is how they work).

This could be tested by placing one of the clocks in an isolated box.

Keith

meh ...science schmience ..

tho I agree with Keith (musicman) ... there almost certainly will be resonant waves ..resonance is a fun thing (sit in an orchestra with a violin on your lap and forget to play while those around you do and your violin joins in by itself!) ...if the second hand ticks rather than sweeps then it will cause waves. Ditto the minute hand but less effect.

My guess is that the second hands on the two clocks 'tick'

Back