Spooky workshop light

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinbasher

Established Member
Reaction score
This is an odd one.

I went into my shop tonight and didn't turn on the flouro lights.

As my eyes got used to the dark I noticed that the tube was glowing and flickering very dimly. It wasn't switched on and hadn't been on for about 24hrs.

Energy in the capcitor? or faulty wiring?

Tin

Fluorescent tubes can also be lit by external electromagnetic fields. Your workshop has got lots of stuff that could produce some stray fields that could, (and I emphasise the could) cause the ghostly glow. You could spend a fun half hour unplugging things if you want to see what's causing it.

I remember seeing a neat trick where a fluorescent tube is lit by passing it through a home wound electromagnetic coil, very cool.

Tinbasher":1lqcv93i said:
the tube was glowing and flickering very dimly. It wasn't switched on

Not unusual. In the days of film-based photography, it was recommended that fluorescent lights were not used in dark rooms because they would glow even when switched off and would fog films and papers.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

There used to be one leaning in a corner of a room in Droitwich transmitter building, which has a steel frame. It was allegedly put there as a warning to anyone wanting to father children not to stand in that particular corner... :shock:

You can also make fluorescent tubes glow by rubbing them with a yellow duster too -- you don't need a 1/2 megawatt transmitter to do it . 8)

Jonzjob":2prczafs said:
You ain't still having bonfires there are you???

What with emissions and all that these days we prefer to drown 'em. Not so much fun but hey... we all gotta do our bit for the planet.

Tubes will glow if put near power lines:

2008-02-11_160730-TreeHugger-emf.jpg

- from http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/emf_richard_box.php

Back