splits in Elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep asking question but I am having a go at a small bowl 8inches wide, started ruffing down and found some splits in the side, I carried on and it is now down to 7 inches and the splits are still there.
The splits look like a screwdriver has made a parting in the wood (just my way of explaining).
If I carry on it will be down to 4 inches.
So can I put wood filler in the splits?

Reg the splits usually radiate from the centre out,so you won't get rid of them by turning it down,you will end up with nothing.
I've tried gluing and clamping up in a vice,and left for a couple of days but it still split open.
Not sure what to suggest.
Is this one of the blanks you bought from Yandles :?:
Paul.J.

Paul what would I do with out your support.
Yes it was from Yandles but you could not see any cracks in it, not until I started turning.
What I have done so far, is put some wood filler as they are only small cracks, I will continue on Thursday giving it lots of time to harden.
It was not to pricey, so it will be just a practice peace.

I don't know if filler will work, what I have done is turn as usual but more carefully and save the dust etc. Use this with Superglue to fill the cracks then sand down before finishing off. Be sparing with the glue as it can stain light coloured woods like elm. Worked for me. Alternatively if they are bigger cracks as Nick said, make a feature of them.

Pete

You could try West epoxy filler. Axminster sell a beginners kit for around £11. Does make a bowl expensive though. The right thing to do is a bit more drastic. Only the best wood would be used for making anything as it was too much work to use bad stuff. If your wood has a centre in it, then you will always have a problem as the wood shrinks around it. The best place to buy wood is a firewood merchant. You can get loads of it for not much money.

Thank you all for ideas, I think I will just use the wood for practice.
But what is this about firewood, (The best place to buy wood is a firewood merchant. You can get loads of it for not much money)
I have a farm just down the road from me that sells firewood, I am not certain if it is logs or not, or are you joking.

Caretaker wrote
I have a farm just down the road from me that sells firewood,
Reg i would go and have a little natter to your farm neighbour and see what they have got.
Explain to him what you are doing and you might have an endless supply of some decent woods,cheaper too i should think.
Paul.J.

Caretaker, as you can see, the firewood merchant is a good place to try. I made 2 nutmeg grinders from a piece of ash firewood log at Christmas. Hadn't done any turning for around 15 years. No practice, just two finished items. They weren't particularly, but one was reported as being the "bestest present of the year".

Bodrighy":3k98579i said:
I don't know if filler will work, what I have done is turn as usual but more carefully and save the dust etc. Use this with Superglue to fill the cracks then sand down before finishing off. Be sparing with the glue as it can stain light coloured woods like elm. Worked for me. Alternatively if they are bigger cracks as Nick said, make a feature of them.

Pete

Pete
If you seal around the area you are filling with sanding sealer it prevents the Superglue staining the wood.

Mark Hancock":174rpty4 said:
Pete
If you seal around the area you are filling with sanding sealer it prevents the Superglue staining the wood.

Of course....so obvious. Thanks Mark. I've been doing it before like an silly person. Save a heck of a lot of sanding.

Pete

Very nice Reg.
Some nice detail there,pity we can't see the side profile :(
Paul.J.

p.s nice thread there Pete.
I missed that one :(

Good to see you persevering with the Elm Reg, not the easiest of timbers to obtain a good finish on.

Based on my personal preferences I would make a few comments; please do not take these as rubishing your efforts, just pointers as I see it from my limited turning perspective.

I would have aimed to form the internals of the sides so that they gave the impression of being thinner if not in practice, curvature of the top lip and sharper edges will do this.

I think the internal base detail is superfluous, if used as a container they will not be seen and may be difficult to clean if collecting debris. They also detract from the natural wood figuring in my opinion.

The side decoration is difficult to see, and obviously you gained turning experience in forming the beads but beware of making the piece look too fussy.

Try not to leave circular tool or sanding marks in prominent places like the internal base area, often a little hand sanding across the grain is more effective in eliminating these than sanding with the lathe rotating, although in this case with the decoration in place this would be a little more difficult.

Once again please do not be disheartened by these comments, they are intended as guides/pointers as I see them for your next piece.

Chas, thanks for the pointers, will look out for them in my next projects.
I have rapped the bowl and am giving it away in a work mates leaving do to morrow.
She is from africa but English so she will think it is hand carved in a mud hut or an office bod in the office basement.
Will try tulip wood next.
I do like all comments bad or good, I need to think before I turn.
I just can't stop....turning

Latest posts

Back