speed camera

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And maybe because of the intolerance and proliferation of speed cameras, many drivers are spending far too much time checking their speed. It needs eyes off the road to do that. Is there anyone here who has NEVER been caught out, by something happening in front, just as you check your mirror, or your speed?

I know it's happened to me. Fortunately I don't 'tailgate'; unless some twit on mental 'cruise control' hurtles past me and cuts into my safety distance! :wink:

I'm off to scrap my car and hand in my licence. I am getting too old for this malarky! :)

There does seem to be a lot of bad tempered car drivers about! Should they be on the roads at all?
Bring on the speed cameras - that'll sort them out.
I also think we need more 20 mph limits on many roads.
Road safety methods seem to be working though - traffic accidents are historically very low.

SBJ":1bpwe1ae said:
Surely you can only judge whether cruise control improves fuel consumption if you are aware of how someone drives without it?
Yes. I am aware of how I drive without it. Most noticeable on motorways where setting it at 70 produces 54 mpg for me.

Benchwayze":svlfxgbj said:
... Is there anyone here who has NEVER been caught out, by something happening in front, just as you check your mirror, or your speed? ...
Er, yes. Me!
Checking your speed and looking into the mirror will both reduce the likelihood and the outcome of an accident.

Benchwayze":1w6xnogt said:
And maybe because of the intolerance and proliferation of speed cameras, many drivers are spending far too much time checking their speed. It needs eyes off the road to do that. Is there anyone here who has NEVER been caught out, by something happening in front, just as you check your mirror, or your speed?

I know it's happened to me. Fortunately I don't 'tailgate'; unless some twit on mental 'cruise control' hurtles past me and cuts into my safety distance! :wink:

I'm off to scrap my car and hand in my licence. I am getting too old for this malarky! :)

This, is quite an amazing argument! Speed cameras are causing accidents because drivers are having to check their speed rather than, presumably, drive at whatever speed happens to feel right at the time whether that be over or under the speed limit?

SBJ":24eeya1d said:
Surely you can only judge whether cruise control improves fuel consumption if you are aware of how someone drives without it?

Obviously if someone drives like they are on a racetrack, and then does the same trip using cruise control, they will get better consumption with c/c.

But, if you drive economically without c/c you should get better consumption than with c/c.

Don't get me wrong, I love cruise control and use it at every opportunity. Another useful toy I have on my SLK is a speed limiter. Useful in unfamilier areas when there are lots of cameras around.

Jacob":20t1ljnp said:
Benchwayze":20t1ljnp said:
... Is there anyone here who has NEVER been caught out, by something happening in front, just as you check your mirror, or your speed? ...
Er, yes. Me!
Checking your speed and looking into the mirror will both reduce the likelihood and the outcome of an accident.

Now two simple questions.

Is there anything you don't know Jacob?
Is there any subject upon which you don't have an expert opinion? :roll:

Toodle-oo.

Peter T":7qtxm6tf said:
SBJ":7qtxm6tf said:

Obviously if someone drives like they are on a racetrack, and then does the same trip using cruise control, they will get better consumption with c/c.

But, if you drive economically without c/c you should get better consumption than with c/c.

Don't get me wrong, I love cruise control and use it at every opportunity. Another useful toy I have on my SLK is a speed limiter. Useful in unfamilier areas when there are lots of cameras around.

Ah, ok, I just thought that you said c/c doesn't improve fuel consumption.

Re the speed limiter - that takes us nicely full circle, what speed do you set you speed limiter?

Jacob":3v2srtr0 said:
Benchwayze":3v2srtr0 said:
Er, yes. Me!

Well if you were caught speeding then there's something you've "caught out by". You must have been looking at something not to notice the camera (or (cop)? :roll:

BTW, my car manual says that cruise control should not be used in fog or icy conditions or where there are regular bends or traffic e.g built up areas.
Or maybe that applies only to German cars :wink:

I'll nail my colours to the mast: I have no problem with speed cameras in specific high risk areas such as schools for instance but I also believe that a large number of them are definate revenue cash cows. Operating costs are inaccurate and old data as digital cameras are much cheaper to run which is why they are being introduced.
And if you think that drivers don't fixate on their speedos whilst passing a camera then I suggest you go sit by one and watch it happen - I have when doing my teacher training (of all things :lol: ) though it was 10 years ago.

I drive sensibly and within the limits most of the time and always when in built up areas, but on a motorway with all fast traffic doing 80+ - I go with the flow! and I use the handling capabilities of my car when conditions allow.
Speed is only a factor in accidents but not the only one. Ignorant, arrogant and downright stupid drivers, many who aren't even responsible enough to insure their vehicles are the biggest problem along with young inexperienced drivers and an ageing population with reduced reaction faculties and overcrowded roads don't help.

I've had 1 ticket more than 40 years ago for 32 in a 30 limit. I contested that and it was quashed as the "gun" was inaccurate.

Bob

Peter T":2av4vxvx said:

How does that work Peter?

I consider that good acceleration can be a positive safety feature as there might well be a need for it to avoid an incident. E.g. you're overtaking a slow vehicle, maybe a lorry, limit is 60 and that's what your limiter is set to. Some p**** pulls out of a side road coming towards you and the only safe manouver is speed up and tuck in. If the car won't do more than 60 then you're possibly dead :roll:

All the cars we've owned for years now have had an audible speed limit indicator which the driver can set. Beeps if you exceed that. (mine's set at 120mph btw :wink: )

Bob

Lons":1iaenc7j said:
Well if you were caught speeding then there's something you've "caught out by". You must have been looking at something not to notice the camera (or (cop)? :roll: .....
I was caught out by not looking - not noticing the speed limit, the camera, my speed.

Ah, I was wrong. Just managed to hack into the DVLA system and found the photo that the speed camera took of Jacob. Here it is .

600-00917021w.jpg

:roll: #-o

Lons":kb5egthl said:
Peter T":kb5egthl said:

How does that work Peter?

I consider that good acceleration can be a positive safety feature as there might well be a need for it to avoid an incident. E.g. you're overtaking a slow vehicle, maybe a lorry, limit is 60 and that's what your limiter is set to. Some p**** pulls out of a side road coming towards you and the only safe manouver is speed up and tuck in. If the car won't do more than 60 then you're possibly dead :roll:

All the cars we've owned for years now have had an audible speed limit indicator which the driver can set. Beeps if you exceed that. (mine's set at 120mph btw :wink: )

Bob

Hi Bob, you're right, you do need the ability to speed up if someone does something stupid.

On my car the limiter works when driving "normally". If I floor the accelerator to kickdown the auto box, it overrides the limiter and you get full performance.

SBJ":1lfs2cbc said:
Benchwayze":1lfs2cbc said:

This, is quite an amazing argument! Speed cameras are causing accidents because drivers are having to check their speed rather than, presumably, drive at whatever speed happens to feel right at the time whether that be over or under the speed limit?

SBJ,

Where did I say that checking mirrors or speedometers causes accidents?
I was merely pointing out that making these checks takes your eyes of the road; for up to one second. At 60mph? How many times in a couple of miles do you make these checks.

I'll leave you to do the maths on distance travelled whilst not looking at the road ahead directly, and relying on peripheral vision; which in some folk isn't always up to snuff.
Not so 'amazing' then?

Hi Bob, you're right, you do need the ability to speed up if someone does something stupid.
On my car the limiter works when driving "normally". If I floor the accelerator to kickdown the auto box, it overrides the limiter and you get full performance.

Ah - got it #-o
I knew it would really. these Germans "hav vays" of being pretty clever. There's stuff in my Audi I'm still discovering (I've had it since January :oops: ) :lol:

Anyway - great toy you have there Peter.

cheers

Bob

Back