Spear and Jackson hand saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REN

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve finally embarked on having a go at sharpening my hand saws with some measure of success (thanks to U tube) on my tennon saws. Now need to move onto a large Spear and Jackson 650mm handsaw model B99, (it says on the sleeve ).i
I’ve made a jig to fit onto my workhorse to hold the saw tight. My problem is the handle is slightly loose. On my tennon saws the brass studs fixing the handles to the blade just unscrews easy. Please does anyone know it it’s the same with the Spear and Jackson saw as I don’t want to force anything?
Thanks

Attachments

• 322DF796-EE6A-4CB7-B201-6D0E4E7A213B.jpeg
    322DF796-EE6A-4CB7-B201-6D0E4E7A213B.jpeg
    143.1 KB
  • BA48F5D0-5287-4FC1-928F-2FD4CC66BD87.jpeg
    BA48F5D0-5287-4FC1-928F-2FD4CC66BD87.jpeg
    374.1 KB
I reshaped a couple of those handles and found those are press rivets so you have to destroy then to get the handle off. Being rivets you could simply bang them up a bit tighter with a hammer. Support the other end on something solid.
Regards
John

Thanks John. I’ll give a gentle knock a try as you suggest.Obviously a cheaper production technique.
I’m quite keen on sharpening this handsaw as efforts on sharpening smaller saw have proved it not that hard to do.
I use the bow saw quite often as I don’t posses a jig saw. The dove saw was a bit of a challenge with 19 points to the inch. I’ve returned to tennon saws rather the the Japanese type which good but I’m unable to resharpen.

Attachments

• 59A266F8-9393-4BD2-AA59-018C9CC09BA5.jpeg
    59A266F8-9393-4BD2-AA59-018C9CC09BA5.jpeg
    2 MB
Hi Ren,
Will be no problem if you can sharpen small teeth. 10 tpi and larger is a walk in the park compared to small teeth.
Here are the ones I saved. Guy was going to bin them as they were blunt. Both 7 tpi so made one into a rip and needed to be able to tell them apart.
IMG_1650.JPG
Regards
John

You don't show the reverse side of the saw handle. If there is a screw slot, it is probably a nut - so you can just screw it up tighter [after adding a small squirt of WD40/Plus=Gas/BDX Bulldog and waiting].

If there's no slot, it'll be a two-piece rivet. In which case : either a hammer [but you risk splitting the wood] or put each rivet in turn into a corner of a mechanic's vise, and giving it a squeeze.

Hi Ren,
Will be no problem if you can sharpen small teeth. 10 tpi and larger is a walk in the park compared to small teeth.
Here are the ones I saved. Guy was going to bin them as they were blunt. Both 7 tpi so made one into a rip and needed to be able to tell them apart.
View attachment 182989
Regards
John
Hi Ren,
View attachment 182989
Regards
John
Hi John,
Nice job,they look good and I imagine they cut well too. How nice it is to use a saw that cut easy, no force required letting the sharp teeth do the job with the minimum of effort.
Roy

Latest posts

Back